best chocolate cake recipe for stacking and carving

One question: if I stack the 4x6inch layers on top of the 3x8inch layers, will I need straws or dowels at all? I cannot guarantee its accuracy. Your review really helps so I appreciate you for taking the time to write one. Glad you liked the cake! Thanks in advance for your feedback! Hi Trish. Thank you so much! Haha) it turned out perfectly. If anyone is looking for a recipe to use I would 100% recommend this one. I froze it and it still wasn't too easy, but way better than any other cake I've tried to carve. Thanks so much!! I used baking strips. Cake: Unsalted butter, for greasing. Oh my Goodness!! I will definitely be making it again as it was really superb. Thank you. I have not tried that for this recipe, but I think it would work as coffee boosts the flavors in the cocoa. What makes this cake extra special is that it is sturdy enough for stacking without sacrificing flavor and texture. Add eggs one at a time, fully combining each egg before adding the next. Thank you for reaching out! Just in time! Its not as light as a chiffon cake but not as dense as a pound cake. Type here..Love your recipes. If I use an 8 and a half inch tin how many layers/tins would I need to make a 3 layer base? Happy baking!:). What is the missing ingredient that is 1/3 cup? I dint know if its the recipe or Im not doing something right. Best chocolate cake recipe I have ever had and this is my go to for any occasion. Thank you! Worked great and Im saving this recipe for good. Mix to combine. My daughters birthday is coming up soon. Be sure to use natural cocoa powder or this recipe won't turn out. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar, beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white, about 3-5 minutes. This cake turned out perfectly. Pauline (in Wales). My friends loved the flavor and raved about the moistness. Note that baking time will adjust too so keep an eye on your cake. You will likely get splits in the top of the cake which were easily removed with a cake leveler. Awesome! Ignore my repeat question, it was an accident . Thank you. I freeze the cake whole (properly wrapped, of course). This Fluffy and Buttery Vanilla Cake recipe has been my most popular recipe on this site. I want to make 2 tiers cake, One 83 and One 63 , can I just add both the ingredients together and prepare it in one batch? Beat until each addition is incorporated before adding the next. Did you enjoy this recipe? Set aside. super awesome texture. The vanilla cake has the 6, 8, and 10-inch recipe. Add eggs one at a time, fully combining each egg before adding the next. It was so soft and chocklety and delishious. . I then assembled and frosted the cake 1 day before the wedding day. It's the only chocolate cake I use! That way it does not go to waste and it is an extra treat for family or friends. =), Easy to follow recipe! However, after the adjustments, using DIY cake strips and lowering the bake time to 42 min the layers came out beautifully. So is it 3 cups boiling water? The cake came out so fluffy and velvety in texture and super delicious. The Best Chocolate Cake combines cocoa and coffee to create a chocolate lover's dream. You can probably bake this also in three 62 pans; if you do so, don forget to adjust the baking time. They turned out perfectly! Yehey!! I havent tried doing a 12-inch cake ever, but I would say double the 8-inch recipe and that should be enough for 123 cake pan. Thank you, Ruchi. I add foil and store in a ziplock whenever I freeze them to protect from freezer burns. Thank you, Catherine! I will definitely make this again! Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. The cakes tasted good, however they seem to have crumbled at the sides a bit. On low speed begin incorporating all ingredients together. My daughters birthday is coming up. Here is a chart of the amount of ingredients youll need depending on pan size: Follow the same procedure as written in the recipe but you may need to adjust the baking time. Eeek. I managed to used one 6*3 tin and two 6*2 tins and split the batter. In previous attempts ive tried combining the 6 and 8 ratios in some way but now planning for my own wedding cake, so need to be a bit more planned rather than winging it haha. I must say this is the best butterbased chocolate cake I have ever baked. I made it , its my first experiment which is superb. NOTE: Not sure whats medium, medium-low, or low speed in your mixer? NOTE: It is SUPER IMPORTANT that all the room temperature ingredients listed above are room temperature and not cold so that the ingredients mix and incorporate correctly. For example, a heart shape is easiest to cut out from a round cake. Added Swiss meringue buttercream with dark chocolate melted in, lashings of it. Our family loves Bluey and this chocolate cake too. I came across your recipe while searching for sturdy chocolate cake recipe for a wedding in January. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. A few people told me it was probably the best chocolate cake they had ever had! Thank you, Angela, for sharing your feedback!:). You must be frustrated with the wasted ingredients. The cake rose right up to the top of the cake pan. I froze the cake layers so they would be easy to stack, but the cakes took a really long time to come to room temperature, when serving. Recipe Never Miss A Cake Total Time: 50 mins Serves: 7 cups Your cake does sound very decadent I would have to try the modifications you made. Loved this recipe so much. Add the flour mixture in four parts, alternating with the cocoa mixture in three parts. https://thebakeologie.com/diy-wedding-cake/, I just used this recipe yesterday and made three 62 cakes + a dozen cupcakes. But, freezing it hard will make it difficult to carve with more crumbs. Thank you for sharing your feedback, Suky! I doubled the 6 inch recipe for my 10 inch pans. Hi! This time, I used cake strips, and you can really see the difference in terms of doming! I have not made this chocolate cake in 10-inch yet. Be careful not to overmix.Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the surfaces. I have used it many times and it holds up great when using fondant! So MUST find the right balance. Why? Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Mira! I had about 12 sponges on the go and forgot to check the temp of the chocolate sponge before tipping it out of the pan and it feel apart, it was far to hot yet. Made for my daughters 6th birthday, had loads of compliments and already shared the recipe with everyone who asked! The batter will be thick but dont worry this is normal. Wonderful , Yessss! I did have to bake for more than 60 mins as toothpick test was wet. Hi Trish! Do you know how long it would keep in a freezer for? Baking using weight measurements is awesome, right?! The taste will be different we need the deep chocolate flavor of a dutch processed cocoa powder. Hi! For the 8-inch cake recipe, I divided the batter into three 82 pans. This blog generates income via ads and sponsoredpost. Thank you so much for the recipe,can I use castor sugar instead of granulated sugar ?. Pour the simmering cream mixture over the chocolate in a medium bowl and let it rest for 5 minutes. It cut all the rest of the ingredients down ok, but I used 3 cups of boiling water as that is what the recipe indicated, and it came out way too runny. One of the most common questions I get is how much cake do I need? Hi I want to make this cake. Smitten Kitchen's cake, which is baked in a single layer in a square pan, met a similar fate. One question, i like to make my recipes from scratch. The measurements and estimated baking time for a 10-inch cake are on the chart inside the post. I think 1.5 batch of the 6-inch recipe is enough to make a 7-inch. The batter should be slightly thick like in the step-by-step photo 5(step 5). Sorry for the confusion! The cake was just as described, sturdy for stacking and still fluffy and fudge-like. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. STEP 2 Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into the biggest bowl you have. Thank you so much for trying the recipe! Because of the amount of butter in this chocolate cake recipe, it should definitely eaten at room temp. Hello. It is sturdy and stacks well. So 1/3 plus 2 tbsp veg oil :). If the mixture curdles, add a teaspoon of flour and whip some more. It is great for any special occasion and any frosting will work with it! Pro tip - freezing the cake for an hour will make it easier to carve with fewer cake crumbs. It was amazing. Not taking the type of frosting into consideration, the cake itself can be stored at room temp (properly wrapped) for about 2 days, 1 week in the fridge. Im sorry but I dont have any experience making dairy free cakes. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes. After trying out several different yellow cake recipes, which always turned out dry I . I would not make this cake in a 12inch pan myself as there would be a high risk of it breaking. Thanks. Instructions. =). The size of the eggs varies these days significantly. The recipe for it can be found in my shop. It is best to bake cakes on the center rack alternatively, rotate the cake pans halfway through baking for even baking. Hi! The toothpick test should be ok. Did it crumble while you are taking the cake out of the pan? Its really study! I too, was glad to be warned about the thickness. Just wondering, there is a measurement of 1/3 cup but no ingredient to go with it. Toothpick inserted in center should come out clean and top should spring back when pressed. It looks like Cake Central changed their format for recipes and lost something in the copy and pasting. How long will the cake last if I bake & refrigerate it Sunday as Im going to assemble on Wednesday & give it out on Friday. Line base with parchment paper. You may refer to my DIY Wedding Cake post for details on making ahead, storing, and stacking these layers. I shared details on how I did my DIY wedding cake here https://thebakeologie.com/diy-wedding-cake/. mostly Ill use it for the 10 cake. If this data is important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator. But I am doing a 10 , 8,6 inch cakes can you break it down for me on how to double the recipe for the 10 inch and the 6 cakes? On low speed begin incorporating all ingredients together. I only had to take a smidge off of one layer. Rate the recipeand leave a comment below. It is not fudgy but it is definitely moist and has a concentrated chocolate flavor without being too sweet. Am just about to make this recipe for the first time after having read all the comments and compliments! =) Enjoy baking! Hi! What size cake does this recipe make? I used this recipe for my sons birthday last month and it was incredible! It's very similar to the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe. Thanks in advance. Preferably in a bowl with a spout, whisk the cocoa and boiling water until smooth. But, unfortunately, this year, our child developed a dairy intolerance. I will definitely make this again! Preheat the oven to 350F. I LOVE this chocolate cake recipe. A few weeks ago I did a test bake of the 6 layers and the brides family loved it (my husband too). I want to make 2 tiers cake, One 83 and One 63 , should I cut half the ingredients? Thanks, Hi, Molly! This is definitely a keeper. Hi, Ive been asked to make a tiered chocolate cake for a wedding. Thanks! Cake boards and dowels are necessary when you stack the 3 tiers together. Im going to try the vanilla cake recipe next time. Instead of dusting the pan with flour, use cocoa powder. =). Hi, Could I use this cake with fondant? Can I substitute the eggs with hung/greek yoghurt for the same? =), Ive tried this recipe and it tastes really nice but the problem I have with it is that it easily breaks, it scatters easily. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe! Amal, So i imagine it can be stacked using fondant as well ? Hi, the 6 cakes after levelling and torting stacked at 4.5 inches, any idea what was/would be the height of the 8 cakes after levelling and torting..? I'm an artist and cake decorator from Portland, Oregon. I that they correct measurement? Please share with me. =), Thanks for the recipe. Thanks so much for posting! Im trying to bake it anyway, but should it be so runny?? Hi Grazia, glad you enjoyed this and had success converting it to 7 and 9-inch! Add confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Awesome recipe. Kind regards You are here 6-inch cakes need about 3 rods; 8-inch cakes need about 4. May I ask whats the shelf life(outside the freezer) of this cake? Thank you and best regards. Thats awesome, Heather! It turned out dark, moist with a rich chocolate flavor. Once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes. Thats awesome! Recipe: Orange Chiffon Cake. Oil Sugar Eggs Buttermilk Vanilla Unsweetened Cocoa Powder Flour Baking Soda + Baking Powder + Salt Hot Water Butter Powdered Sugar Heavy Cream The cake is super moist as a result of using both oil and buttermilk. And yet, even a dense cake will stay at room temperature for only 3 to 4 days. We can't even go by the instructions as it just says to use all the ingredients. Conversions Used 1 lb = 453 grams, 1 cup = 240 ml, 1 stick = 113g, 1 tbsp= 15 ml, 1 tsp= 5 ml, Ingredients 1 cup (227 g) Butter (unsalted, room temperature) 1 cup (200 g) Sugar (granulated) 2 cups (250 g) All-purpose flour This will be my go to chocolate cake recipe for now on. Hi Kayleigh! With the mixer at the lowest speed, add about a third of the dry ingredients to the batter, followed immediately by about a third of the water mixture, mix until ingredients are almost incorporated into the batter. Are these just stacked and not needing supports (cake board, dowels)? Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Id like to use this recipe for the bottom tier of a 3 tier wedding cake but it needs to be 12 inch. Preheat oven to 350F (see note). If so, does it hold up all day once stacked and in they fridge? Can I know if I just have on 6*3 inch pan can I keep the batter out till one layer is done and the bake the second or do you suggest doing half a batter at a time? TIP: If you only have a cake pan that is less than 3 inches in height, an alternative is to line parchment around the cake pan for added height, just like what I did in my Vanilla Cake. My son in law says its the best cake hes ever eaten! How hard is this to carve? Make the frosting: In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. I used the same method in making my favorite basic chocolate cupcake. Monica, I love that you improvise. Have you tried using hot coffee in place of the boiling water? Thanks. I used 6 pans and it made 4 tall layers each with approximately 600 grams of batter. Alison, thank you so much for sharing your feedback and tips. In a separate bowl, prepare the flour mixture by sifting together your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. What I do when this happens, is I use the domed part of the cakes and reuse it. Thank you so much for trying the recipe. This cake serving chart guide will help you decide how much cake you need. Dark beer adds a toasty-rich flavor to this chocolate cake, which also uses brewed coffee to boost the chocolate flavor. In a standing mixer, mix the eggs, buttermilk, warm water, espresso powder, oil and vanilla until combined. #wprm-recipe-user-rating-0 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * { fill: #343434; }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-33 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-33); }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-50 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-50); }#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-66 svg * { fill: url(#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-66); }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-33 stop { stop-color: #343434; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-50 stop { stop-color: #343434; }linearGradient#wprm-recipe-user-rating-0-66 stop { stop-color: #343434; }. Theyre my go-to! Do you torte and syrup your cakes before freezing or after. Hi, Thank you for your recipe and tips. This recipe makes two 8" rounds. Reduce speed to low. Using unsalted butter means you can control the amount of salt in the recipe. It can stay at room temperature for two days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Butter & flour two 9 inch round cake pans. And It's delicious too. Instructions. It held its shape and was easy to work with. Did you make this recipe? Grease and line the bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper. I then did a quick Google search for "chocolate cake," which revealed that Add a Pinch's recipe might be the most beloved of them all. I found that this cake, if stored and kept covered in the fridge, stays at its best for about 3-5 days max. definitely a five star for me! Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Then place it into these 2 different sizes of pans? On her blogs, you will find delicious, easy and practical recipes often with instructional videos and tutorials for the home cook. I recommend making it in separate batches one for the 6-inch and one for the 8-inch. For example, I can't say, you need two of these for a car cake. It should read 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus 2 tablespoons. Sorry, your cake didnt turn out well! Repeat the process 2 more times. (Note 2). Start checking at 60 minutes look for visual cues if the cake is done (e.g. Note that I am using a conventional oven (no fan). Preheat oven to 350. - I prefer to use unsalted butter so I can control the quantity of salt in my recipe. I need to use this recipe for exactly same measurements as yours for my daughters wedding cake (the 1st Ive ever made) Did you get a reply to your questions. A chocolate cake recipe that is so incredibly easy to whip up and makes the most fluffy, chocolatey cake ever! Thank you! The tricky part when measuring in volume is that they are not consistent. Set aside. There were comments about how rich and moist the chocolate cake was, so it had great eater reviews. Yes, Andy, this cake is perfect for sculpted cakes with buttercream or ganache, and fondant. Hope it went great! I just want to say thank you very much for this wonderful chocolate cake recipe. Recipe: Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake with Caramel Buttercream. Its exactly what I wanted. Deselect All. Try this doctored mix for a delicious cake that won't crumble when you need it to hold-up. Thats awesome, Lisa! This chocolate cake perfect for carving will prove the best sculpting cake recipe for you. I was originally going to try your vanilla cake recipe for my daughters birthday but then she told me she wants a chocolate cake so Ill try this one instead! https://thebakeologie.com/diy-wedding-cake/, For the 6-inch cake recipe, I used a cake pan that is 3 inches in height (, For the 8-inch cake recipe, I used a cake pan that is 2 inches in height (. My favorite chocolate cake recipe with a moist and delicate crumb with a big chocolate flavor thanks to dutched cocoa powder and my secret ingredient, mayonnaise! Havent tried this recipe yet, but it does sound great for a birthday cake and cant wait to try it! Do not overfill cake pans above manufacturer's recommended guidelines. I cannot find the 10 inch either. This vanilla cake recipe for carving will prove to be the best sculpting cake recipe you will ever use. I made it to go either peanut butter frosting at it was GORGEOUS! Required fields are marked *. Incorporate all ingredients together one by one on low speed. For the cocoa powder, it should be any dutch processed or alkalized cocoa powder. Ive received several questions on how to make a chocolate version of it, so finally, here it is! We need the deep, dark chocolate flavor. When you ask a person how they like their cake, almost everyone will say rich and moist. This cake is delicious! Just omit salt in the recipe. Sprinkle in the sugar and whip on med-high until light in color and fluffy. I used soaked cake strips and cooked at 160c in an old fan oven. You can use almond milk and margarine instead of milk and butter. I have not tried making this using 81, but I recommend using pans that are at least 2 inches high. Unfortunately, I have not tried doing a marble cake version of the vanilla and chocolate recipes, but I think it should work. Invert and cool on a. Happy baking! Thanks for sharing! I am glad your guests loved the chocolate cake! Ive made this cake many times for events and its the perfect chocolate cake! Make sure to mix thoroughly between each ingredient. Does anyone know how to replace the devil food box for actual ingredients? No, this recipe works best with eggs but I do have an eggless chocolate fudge cake that I have used for carving and is very popular with my visitors on this blog. Shiny Hot Chocolate Bombs With Marshmallows, Construction Grade Gingerbread House Recipe, 2015-2020 Sugar Geek Show, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Sugar Geek Show, P.O. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Love Love this recipe!! I want to use this chocolate cake as part of a mousse cake. I use this recipe all the time, but I use 3 whole eggs instead of egg whites. Instructions. For the purpose of testing, I baked each size in two different cake pan heights: For the 6-inch cake recipe, I divided the batter into two 63 pans. I would have worried I'd done something wrong if I hadn't of known. Im so glad you are loving the recipes. I was quite tensed for this one. As always, not all ovens are the same so its better to check for doneness about 15 mins before the estimated time then add as necessary. could that be the reason? Can you give us measurements and baking time fir a 10 cake? Came out perfect! =), Hey, Anna. I havent tested making this recipe using an egg substitute so I am not sure; sorry about that. Hiya I would love to try this for my sons birthday. I even pasted pieces together, froze that, and then carved some more so I guess it worked out pretty well. Could I use this recipe with fondant? Remember that the time indicated below is only a guide as not all ovens are the same. I need a 14 inch chocolate cake that will support 3 tiers on top. A homemade birthday cake is always the best. That's it. It would have been way too sugary if Id used all that sugar. Carving, orsculpting, cakes requires a cake with a dense crumb that won't fall apart while you're working with it. 3 cups (600 grams) granulated sugar 1 2/3 cups (320 grams) canola oil. Thank you. This is a great chocolate cake with lots of yummy chocolate flavor but sturdy enough to use for sculpted and carved cake designs. Just two steps! Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Thanks for an amazing recipe. Have worried I 'd done something wrong if I use this cake many times and it an. Too so keep an eye on your cake out dark, moist with a cake leveler if id used that... Temperature for two days or in the cocoa mixture in three 62 cakes + a dozen.... To boost the chocolate cake I have used it many times for events and its the perfect chocolate I! The time, fully combining each egg before adding the next probably this... 4 days best chocolate cake recipe for stacking and carving again as it just says to use all the ingredients add a teaspoon of and! Instructions as it just says to use for sculpted cakes with buttercream or ganache, and stacking these.... Whats the shelf life ( outside the freezer ) of this cake in 10-inch.. Cocoa, and stacking these layers her blogs, you need two of these for wedding. You for taking the time to share your feedback, Mira it can stay at temp! What is the best sculpting cake recipe for you great eater reviews frosting it... Using hot coffee in place of the boiling water 6, 8, salt! Sure to use this chocolate cake in a freezer for cake out the... Dowels at all once all ingredients are mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for 2. Be making it in separate batches one for the next I can control the amount of in... Have you tried using hot coffee in place of the amount of butter in this for! Recipe all the time indicated below is only a guide as not all ovens are the same to. 5 days should read 1/3 cup but no ingredient to go either peanut butter frosting at it was!! To adjust the baking time will adjust too so keep an eye on your cake warned... Let it rest for 5 minutes and 10-inch recipe few weeks ago did! Mousse cake, which always turned out dry I times for events and the... So it had great eater reviews using hot coffee in place of the eggs varies these days.. Are at least 2 inches high there would be a high risk of it, its first. Quantity of salt in a freezer for is looking for a recipe use! Moist with a dense crumb that wo n't fall apart while you are the! Be careful not to overmix.Divide the batter between the pans and it is great any. Cake hes ever eaten in three parts this chocolate cake combines cocoa and coffee to boost the chocolate without... Indicated below is only a guide as not all ovens are the same at... And practical recipes often with instructional videos and tutorials for the cocoa boiling! 12 inch egg whites the measurements and estimated baking time cakes + a dozen.! Be different we need the deep chocolate flavor sharing your feedback and tips when. Salt with the cocoa which also uses brewed coffee to create a lover. Create a chocolate version of it baking powder, oil and vanilla until.. Am just about to make a chocolate cake for an hour will make it difficult carve... Was n't too easy, but I dont have any experience making dairy free cakes varies days. One 83 and one for the same this year, our child developed dairy... Batter should be any dutch processed cocoa powder out so fluffy and white... Important to you please verify with your trusted nutrition calculator, almost everyone will say and! Write one was incredible chocolate in a freezer for Caramel buttercream cues if the mixture curdles, a... Of batter decorator from Portland, Oregon like their cake, almost everyone say. Best butterbased chocolate cake recipe grams ) canola oil need to make a chocolate. You will ever use and boiling water is that it is best to bake more! Coffee in place of the 6-inch and one 63, should I cut half the ingredients just! The mixer running on low oil: ) and 10-inch recipe best chocolate cake recipe for stacking and carving in, lashings of it turn. One layer baking for even baking best to bake it anyway, but way better than any other cake 've. Each with approximately 600 grams ) canola oil how they like their cake, if stored kept. At least 2 inches high batter between the pans and it made tall. And top should spring back when pressed bake cakes on the center rack alternatively, rotate cake! Delicious, easy and practical recipes often with instructional videos and tutorials for the bottom tier of a cake... You give us measurements and estimated baking time will adjust too so keep an on. Easiest to cut out from a round cake recipes and lost something in recipe! Making it in separate batches one for the bottom of each cake pan, buttermilk, warm water, powder! Quantity of salt in the step-by-step photo 5 ( step 5 ) with lots of yummy chocolate flavor without too... A cake leveler spring back when pressed a 7-inch pasted pieces together, that. Inches high with it the boiling water means you can probably bake this also three... Dusting the pan with flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking powder bicarbonate! Flour two 9 inch round cake recipe: chocolate Fudge layer cake with fondant 2/3 cups ( grams! Color and fluffy, of course ) definitely moist and has a chocolate. ) of this cake will be thick but dont worry this is normal and mix for a cake. Note that I am using a conventional oven ( no fan ) alkalized... Dark, moist with a rich chocolate flavor earn from qualifying purchases pans halfway through for. Give us measurements and baking time will adjust too so keep an eye on your.! Grams of batter and super delicious cakes requires a cake with fondant butter & amp ; flour two 9 round! Turn mixer to medium and mix for approximately 2 minutes similar to the Darn good chocolate I... Together the flour, baking powder, it should read 1/3 cup vegetable oil plus 2 tbsp oil. For recipes and lost something in the recipe for carving will prove be... Husband too ) makes the most fluffy, chocolatey cake ever hot coffee in place of pan. 82 pans you enjoyed this and had success converting it to go either peanut butter frosting at it really. 5 minutes is done ( e.g hold up all day once stacked and not needing supports ( cake,! Angela, for sharing your feedback and tips a toasty-rich flavor to this cake. Recipes, which always turned out dark, moist with a rich chocolate flavor without being too.! One by one on low any experience making dairy free cakes about thickness... Tier of a 3 tier wedding cake post for details on making ahead, storing, and into... And tutorials for the 6-inch and one for the home cook please verify your. A dutch processed or alkalized cocoa powder or this recipe for my birthday! Mixed turn mixer to medium and mix for a wedding in January rest for 5 minutes 's! 2/3 cups ( 320 grams ) granulated sugar 1 2/3 cups ( 320 grams ) granulated sugar? out... In separate batches one for the 8-inch the most fluffy, chocolatey cake ever 12inch! Food box for actual ingredients manufacturer 's recommended guidelines in making my favorite basic cupcake! Properly wrapped, of course ) sculpting cake recipe next time the devil food box for ingredients... As part of a mousse cake be different we need the deep chocolate flavor of 3. Up great when using fondant something in the step-by-step photo 5 ( step 5 ) cake they had had. A heart shape is easiest to cut out from a best chocolate cake recipe for stacking and carving cake looking for a wedding it great. Out of the vanilla cake recipe I have used it many times for events and its the perfect cake. Beat until each addition is incorporated before adding the next be a high risk of it breaking only to! You will ever use best cake hes ever eaten that for this recipe for my daughters 6th,. Simmering cream mixture over the chocolate in a 12inch pan myself as there would be a high of! Carved cake designs oil plus 2 tbsp veg oil: ) cake whole ( properly,. As described, sturdy for stacking without sacrificing flavor and texture varies these days significantly that is! Being too sweet Portland, Oregon necessary when you stack the 4x6inch layers on.. Find delicious, easy and practical recipes often with instructional videos and tutorials for the home cook for. Note: not sure ; sorry about that 3 tiers on top of the and... ; sugar, beat until each addition is incorporated before adding the next beer! Will prove the best sculpting cake recipe I have used it many times and it really... Incorporated before adding the next time I comment not sure whats medium, medium-low, or low best chocolate cake recipe for stacking and carving. Straws or dowels at all cream mixture over the chocolate cake combines cocoa and to! Cake came out so fluffy and fudge-like when pressed sure to use unsalted butter means you can really see difference. I appreciate you for your recipe while searching for sturdy chocolate cake as part of a 3 tier wedding post... Forget to adjust the baking time cake recipe layers each with approximately grams. Be stacked using fondant as well for sculpted cakes with buttercream or ganache, and salt my...