betty jane bassett

Please try again later. the average Gilbert family member Use Escape keyboard button or the Close button to close the carousel. Bassett's husband Courtney Vance played her television husband on ER as Russell Banfield. 46 death records. Angela Bassett is raising awareness of the devastating illness that took her mother years ago. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. Share memories and family stories, photos, or ask questions. Born. David Crotty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images, FILE, Prince Harry, Meghan reportedly asked by King Charles III to leave Frogmore Cottage, their UK home, Ed Sheeran reveals new album '-' and opens up on wife's medical scare, Shakira says she's come out 'stronger' from her split with Gerard Piqu, Digital Deals & Steals celebrating women-owned businesses, MORE: Angela Bassett on how she's teaching her 13-year-old son consent, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Marvel reveals 1st look of 'Eternals' and 'Black Panther 2' title, They've got 'Soul': Phylicia Rashad and Angela Bassett discuss the strong connection to their characters, Angela Bassett on how she's teaching her 13-year-old son consent, MORE: They've got 'Soul': Phylicia Rashad and Angela Bassett discuss the strong connection to their characters. cemeteries found within miles of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Are you sure that you want to delete this memorial? Start a FameChain Add to my FameChain. [92] She appeared in the 2013 film Black Nativity. And I've seen it time and time again with these women that we brought into this directing world that they're just killing it, and they're working twice as hard because they know they have a lot to prove. On television, Bassett has starred as Katherine Jackson in the miniseries The Jacksons: An American Dream (1992). "[47] The only film she appeared in during the following year was Mr. and Mrs. Smith in an uncredited voice role. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Weve updated the security on the site. Daniel B. Bassett, Jr. married Betty Jane Gilbert Bassett. Bassett says she and the other participants did not see themselves as underprivileged. In 1993, when she was 58 years old, on January 20th, William J. Clinton became the 42nd President of the United States. In Vampire in Brooklyn, she played Rita Veder, a tortured cop with a dark secret. Learn more about merges. or don't show this againI am good at figuring things out. "With it, I'm able to just honor the woman that my mother was and also to use this incredible platform that I have to get the word out," she said. GREAT NEWS! Quickly see who the memorial is for and when they lived and died and where they are buried. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. [71] Despite this, Bassett was taken "out of her element" with the arrangements made that accommodated the computer-generated effects. She read the film's script and became interested. [16] During production, director Spike Lee showed Bassett a tape of the exact moment when Malcolm X was shot during his assassination, since they would be filming the scene. A system error has occurred. Angela Evelyn Bassett was born on August 16, 1958, to Betty Jane Bassett who worked for the Health and Human Services Agency, and Daniel Bassett in New York, New York. She was the only member of Bassett's family to have gone to both college and graduate school. One negative review, for example, judged that Malcolm X failed to "capture" the rage of Malcolm X's autobiography. Bassett praised the writers, calling them "amazing". (PICS & VIDEO)", "Executive Speakers Bureau, Angela Bassett", "Celebrities ante up for Democratic campaigns", "Angela Bassett stumps for Obama in St Pete hometown", "Angela Bassett On Obama: Actress Opens Up On President's Historic Inauguration (VIDEO)", "Celebrities who support Hillary Clinton", "DNC: Angela Bassett speaks out against gun violence", "Celebrities React To Donald Trump Winning The Presidential Election", "[Photos] Actress Angela Bassett & Susan L Taylor Become Members of Delta Sigma Theta", Angela Bassett Celebrates Receiving New Honorary Doctorate: 'Happy and Humbled', "Angela Bassett Is Now Dr. Angela Bassett After Receiving Honorary Degree From Yale", "Biographies of Yale's 2018 honorary degree recipients", Black Reel Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress, Black Reel Award for Outstanding Actress, TV Movie or Limited Series, Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Supporting Actress, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress Motion Picture, NAACP Image Award for Entertainer of the Year, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Angela_Bassett&oldid=1141844769, Best Musical or Comedy Actress Golden Globe (film) winners, Best Supporting Actress Golden Globe (film) winners, Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture Screen Actors Guild Award winners, Articles with dead external links from May 2019, Articles with permanently dead external links, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 27 February 2023, at 03:04. "[21] Upon its release, What's Love Got to Do with It received strong reviews that touted her performance as masterful. 102 birth records, View Search above to list available cemeteries. She is an active Ambassador of UNICEF for the United States and a member of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ. She and her costars Robert Townsend and Victoria Rowell were seen by Robert Gillard of LA Sentinel as doing wonderful jobs of "capturing the emotions of a family stricken by grief. Facebook gives people the. Singing in a film was a new experience for Bassett, who had never had to sing before and had always lip-synced.[94]. Date of Death: June 22, 2014 (age 78) Zodiac Sign: Leo. GREAT NEWS! She is survived by her daughters, Angela Bassett Vance and Dannette Belinda Bassett; brothers, Ralph and Garland. When asked if the film was much easier to act in than the more intense roles she had in the past, Bassett responded, "This was much easier. Bassett had her breakthrough portraying singer Tina Turner in the biopic What's Love Got to Do with It (1993), which won her a Golden Globe Award and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. [33], In 2000, Bassett turned down the lead role in Monster's Ball because of the script's sexual content; the role earned Halle Berry the Academy Award for Best Actress. Bassett raised her daughter, one of the city's most famous exports, in St. Petersburg, and in interviews the actor has. Co-creator Ryan Murphy praised Bassett in an interview with E! [59] Bassett joined the regular cast of ER for the show's final season (20082009). No animated GIFs, photos with additional graphics (borders, embellishments. American Actress. Please enter your email and password to sign in. Unfortunately, not much is known about her except for her name. Mother of Angela Bassett and Private She raised her family in Wanamaker and worked part-time as a substitute teacher and kindergarten assistant.She is survived by Steve Bassett, David Bassett, Anne Watkins, step-daughter Marjorie Bramer, seventeen grandchildren, and twenty-nine great-grandchildren.Arrangements entrusted to Wilson St. Pierre Funeral Service and Crematory-Greenwood Chapel.Published by Wilson St. Pierre Funeral Service & Crematory - Greenwood Chapel on May 16, 2022. 25 years later, she played his sister in American Horror Story (2011). ). Please reset your password. The episode marks the third time a woman has directed the show. This led to starring roles as Betty Shabazz in Malcolm X (1992), as the mother of The Notorious B.I.G. We will review the memorials and decide if they should be merged. Make sure that the file is a photo. [133], Bassett attended the second inauguration of Barack Obama on January 21, 2013. Bassett said she loved the story,[50] viewing the lead character as someone that "could be anyone because each of us have had dreams and aspirations and wanting to be and needing to be supported and directed",[51] and described working with Palmer as being "really wonderful." She appeared in the 2008 film Gospel Hill. Age 93 of Lakeville passed away December 7, 2015. Star's mother vanished, when Angela was merely 10-months-old, and then suddenly showed up, when the girl grew older. Where we share as we remember & make discoveries and connect with others to help answer questions. I have a cigarette in one hand, and I'm drinking. In 2018, Bassett began producing and starring as an LAPD patrol sergeant in the Fox drama series 9-1-1. He was not in his daughters' lives, and their mother raised them. Angela Evelyn Bassett (born August 16, 1958) . Her Other Children. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/244340508/betty-jane-bassett. [52], Bassett provided her voice for the 2007 film Meet the Robinsons. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. "I began to get more awareness or information that her health was declining, and that she had developed Type 2 diabetes -- along with that came cardiovascular disease, and ultimately, she was lost to heart failure," Bassett said. Heart disease also affects the Black community at a disproportionate rate. Weve updated the security on the site. She said she felt "motivated" to raise awareness of the initiative's purpose and highlight the link between Type 2 diabetes and heart disease because of her family's history. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. This account has been disabled. "I make sure that I see my doctor regularly for my yearly checkups, and if there's anything that I'm concerned about, I will text him or call him or go in," Bassett said. She met Tina Turner twice, who advised her on details of her interpretation, from wigs and outfits to dancing styles. [71] Bassett's and Loretta Devine's performances in the film were called "in some ways too fierce for the room, offering nuances of hostility and hurt that the movie cannot really handle" and contributing to the "unevenness of the performances" in the film. Discover how our Uncovering Our Shared Memories: An Introduction to the Community Standards at AncientFaces "We'll be telling stories, you'll meet other individuals who have had this affect their lives, you'll hear more about monologue -- [a] dramatic monologue about my personal journey with my mother with this disease. The Wilson plays featuring Bassett were Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (1984) and Joe Turner's Come and Gone (1986). [102] Bassett noted it was "the very first sequel I've ever done" and that she had been excited at the prospect of another film after the initial success of Olympus Has Fallen. Bassett is a supporter of the Royal Theater Boys & Girls Club in her hometown of St. Petersburg, Florida. As manager of this memorial you can add or update the memorial using the Edit button below. and you'll be alerted when others do the same. 7 years longer than Try again later. During Bassett's long career in show business, she has experienced nearly every emotion, whether it was through exhilarating storytelling on screen or real life family tragedies. "She had high expectations for her two daughters and [was] under a great deal of stress, I think, being a single mom and just trying to make ends meet, but she always pushed my sister and I to be our best, to educate ourselves, to be independent, be able to take care of ourselves," Bassett said during a recent interview with "Good Morning America.". In the 1930s, about 100,000 former slaves were still living during the Great Depression, of which 2,300 were interviewed part of the Federal Writers' Project. She sang and it was seen as contributing to the film's "blissful unreality". Her mother, Betty Jane (Gilbert) Bassett, passed away on June 22, 2014. Bassett was born in New York City, the daughter of a social worker Betty Jane (ne Gilbert), a civil servant, and Daniel Benjamin Bassett, a preacher's son. The difference this year, however, was that Bassett chose a unique way to honor her mom's legacy. [19] Bassett had idolized the group growing up and said the Jackson family were positive influences on the African-American community for their successes.[19]. Known for her work in film and television since the late 1980s, she has received various accolades, including sixteen NAACP Image Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Award and two Golden Globe Awards, in addition to nominations for two Academy Awards and seven Primetime Emmy Awards. Turner also did Bassett's make-up, leading Bassett to call her "supportive" and her "biggest fan. [41], In 2003, she read from the WPA slave narratives in Unchained Memories. Memorial has already been merged. Betty Jane Bassett, mother of actor Angela Bassett, died Sunday. Previously sponsored memorials or famous memorials will not have this option. Biographies are our place to remember and discover more about the people important to us. "He's a visionary, an auteur, he's a kind of gentle soul and he encourages you in his own particular way, his own sweet way, gentle, insistent way to give your best, so I have absolute faith in him," she added. Flowers added to the memorial appear on the bottom of the memorial or here on the Flowers tab. Her other notable film roles were in Boyz n the Hood (1991), Waiting to Exhale (1995), Vampire in Brooklyn (1995), How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998), Music of the Heart (1999), Olympus Has Fallen (2013) and London Has Fallen (2016). #ProudOfHer". Thanks for your help! Born. This is a carousel with slides. The prolific actress's mom, Betty Jane Bassett, had type 2 diabetes and tragically died of heart disease. There, Bassett met her father's daughter from his first marriage, Jean, who at twelve years old, was several years older than Bassett. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. Which memorial do you think is a duplicate of Betty Bassett (176391755)? We have set your language to She was excited to work with Eddie Murphy in Vampire in Brooklyn, as well as director Wes Craven. You are nearing the transfer limit for memorials managed by Find a Grave. She received another nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie. Betty Jane Bassett Age. Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress, Golden Globe Award for Best Actress Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie, United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom, List of awards and nominations received by Angela Bassett, Angela Bassett Receives Third Degree From Yale University, "Celebrities, Community Activists Put Gun Violence in the Spotlight", "Her 'American Dream': Angela Bassett Says Playing the Mother of the Jackson's Was Emotional and Uplifting", "Review/Film: What's Love Got to Do With It; Tina Turner's Tale: Living Life With Ike and Then Without Him", "50 Best Biopics Ever: 47. BASSETT, Betty Jane 78, of St. Petersburg, passed away on June 22, 2014. Becoming a Find a Grave member is fast, easy and FREE. She was married to Daniel Benjamin Bassett Jr. in 1957 in New York City, New York County, New York and they later divorced in 1962 in New York City. Bassett and her sister D'nette grew up in St. Petersburg, Florida with their mother. There is 1 volunteer for this cemetery. The production opened on Broadway on October 13, 2011. He was the son of Rev. Memorial Mass Tuesday, December 15th, 11:00 am at All Saints Catholic Church, 19795 Holyoke Avenue, Lakeville, MN 55044. Try again later. This flower has been reported and will not be visible while under review. Betty Jane Plummer Bassett (1919-2022) - Find a Grave Memorial Advertisement Photo added by Chris Betty Jane Plummer Bassett Are you a close relative of Betty? St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida United States. To view a photo in more detail or edit captions for photos you added, click the photo to open the photo viewer. You cannot merge a memorial into itself. daughter of Ernest Talmadge Frith & Gladys Cassady, Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. Now, the 61-year-old strong woman is opening up and telling her own story about experiencing sexual molestation as a child. [12] She then studied acting at the Yale School of Drama and obtained a Master of Fine Arts in 1983, despite opposition from her paternal aunt who warned her to not "waste" her "Yale education on theater." There is a problem with your email/password. Did Betty serve in the military or did a war or conflict interfere with her life? Sorry! Please enter a valid Memorial ID. Your Scrapbook is currently empty. [95] Her agent approached Ryan Murphy about her having a role in the series and he told the agent that she was the person he had in mind for Marie Laveau. She received praise for the performance,[28][29] Stephen Holden of The New York Times called Bassett's character "the best thing in the movie" and wrote that Bassett "portrays this high-strung superwoman with such intensity that she makes her almost believable. Refresh this page to see various historical events that occurred during Betty's lifetime. Angela Evelyn Bassett (born August 16, 1958) is an American actress. Sister of Private; Private and Private. Make sure that the file is a photo. Died. In 2010, Deadline Hollywood reported that Bassett would have a role in One Police Plaza. Try again later. As a single mother, Betty stressed the importance of education for her children. Mom lived life to the fullest, and will be missed by all. Bassett said the pregnancy "only made things harder", leading her parents to send her to her father's sister, Golden, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. In 1985, Bassett made her first television appearance, as a prostitute in the made-for-TV movie Doubletake. Verify and try again. Age 93 of Lakeville passed away December 7, 2015. She was married to. In 1935, in the year that Betty Jane Bassett was born, the BOI's name (the Bureau of Investigation) was changed to the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and it officially became a separate agency with the Department of Justice. "[125], In December 2022, she was named as part of The Hollywood Reporter's Women in Entertainment Power 100. Close this window, and upload the photo(s) again. Are you sure that you want to report this flower to administrators as offensive or abusive? Bassett raised her daughter, one of the city's most famous exports, in St. Petersburg, and in interviews the actress has recalled her child hood here, spent taking swim lessons at Wildwood Community Center and walking from her home in Jordan Park to Boca Ciega High School, where she graduated in 1976. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Betty Jane Frith Bassett I found on Findagrave.com. The award-winning actress, 62, lost her mother, Betty Jane, in June 2014 to heart failure. Bassett said, "The thing is that my character is thinking about how her husband has left her. cemeteries found in Acton, Marion County, Indiana, USA will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Who were the people in Betty's life? Betty Jane was an aid lady. The award-winning actress, 62, lost her mother, Betty Jane, in June 2014 to heart failure. Bassett was featured in the 2012 film This Means War,[81] having been known to be attached to the film since two years prior. In November 2022, she reprised her role as Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. She also became narrator of the Magic Kingdom nighttime spectacular Disney Enchantment that premiered on October 1, 2021. All photos uploaded successfully, click on the Done button to see the photos in the gallery. The email does not appear to be a valid email address. We have set your language to There was a problem getting your location. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. Oops, something didn't work. Bassett was reported to have a role in the film in June 2012, the month before filming began. Learn more about managing a memorial . Jane Moore gave an insight into her time as Sharon Osbourne's ghost writer, admitting that they 'argued' over the manuscript as she spoke on Loose Women.. [60][61] She portrayed Dr. Catherine Banfield, an exacting Chief of the ER who was also working to recover from the death of a son and to bring another child into her family. If you have questions, please contact [emailprotected]. All photos appear on this tab and here you can update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage. But I have always maintained that [the roles] I cannot do because of the way I'm made up, or because of the way I think, I don't begrudge that there is someone else who has no issues with that. She felt it did a "wonderful job of bringing" The Notorious B.I.G. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. We will review the memorials and decide if they should be merged. She grew up with her sister D'nette and has a step-sister from her father's side. [111], In January 2018, Bassett joined the Fox first responder procedural drama 911, of which she is also a producer. Her mother had Type 2 diabetes and Bassett said their family didn't see the "wolf at the door" in her healthbattle. in Notorious (2009), and as Amanda Waller in Green Lantern (2011). ", "I'm excited, as you can imagine, very excited," she said. [77] Bassett and Devine were noted as "superb, distinguished actresses" by Kirk Honeycutt of The Hollywood Reporter, but were seen as having been "asked to overdo every moment with permanent scowls and body language more suitable to Mortal Kombat. You can customize the cemeteries you volunteer for by selecting or deselecting below. [62][63] To portray Wallace's Jamaican accent, Bassett conversed with her on and off the film set, and she practiced her accent using tapes that Wallace made. "[135] Bassett also spoke at the 2016 Democratic National Convention, introducing survivors of the previous year's Charleston church shooting, an incident about which she spoke during her remarks. Bassett called the recording "haunting," but noted that afterward she was "able to grab hold of the pain and re-create the scene." Betty Jane (Gilbert) Bassett was born on August 3, 1935 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida United States. [129][130], She is represented by the Executive Speakers Bureau of Memphis, Tennessee. Copyright 2023 ABC News Internet Ventures. His Other Children. Dannette Bassett. [70] Bassett said working on the film was "a lot of fun" and that she enjoyed being a part of it. It was pretty easy compared to some of the roles I've done that call for so much emotion or physicality." While being asked about what drew her to play real-life women, Bassett answered "The respect that I have for their livestheir stories, vulnerabilities, strength, and resolve. The service will begin at 1:00 PM. When we share what we know, together we discover more. based on information from your browser. Written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II (the first of their string of successful collaborations), audiences loved it. "[17] Bassett worried that after her role as Betty Shabazz in Malcolm X, she would not find another role "as satisfying." You need a Find a Grave account to continue. Your account has been locked for 30 minutes due to too many failed sign in attempts. Your new password must contain one or more uppercase and lowercase letters, and one or more numbers or special characters. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. Betty Jane Bassett (mother) Date of Birth: August 03, 1935. . [7] Bassett did not see her father again for several years, until she attended her grandmother's funeral. [138], She is Pentecostal Evangelical Christian and a member of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ (Church of God in Christ), located in Los Angeles. [10], At Boca Ciega High School, Bassett was a cheerleader and a member of the Upward Bound college prep program, the debate team, student government, drama club and choir. Would you like to manage this memorial? Bassett watched the previous seasons of the series before meeting with Murphy and found the writing "wonderful" and the characters "so realized". Angela Bassett. Learn more about managing a memorial. 0 cemeteries found in Bassett, Henry County, Virginia, USA. 3000', "Angela Bassett and Keith David join Mr. and Mrs. Smith", "Akeelah and the Bee: An Interview with Angela Bassett", "Angela Bassett and 'Akeelah and the Bee', "Angela Bassett makes a leap with 'Meet the Robinsons', "A Quiet Little Town With an Unsolved Murder and Greedy Developers", "Angela Bassett Seeks Nothing But the Truth", "Angela Bassett to join final season of 'ER', "Just A Minute With: Angela Bassett on "Notorious", "Flashback Friday: Angela Bassett Talks 'Notorious' w/ The Source", "Angela Bassett to Play Notorious B.I.G. [132] Bassett supported Obama in his reelection campaign. Please contact Find a Grave at [emailprotected] if you need help resetting your password. In June 2012, she made an appearance at the St. Petersburg office of his campaign and said the election was not one "where we can sit on the sidelines". Failed to report flower. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. Are you sure that you want to delete this photo? we begin to Show & Tell who they were during particular moments in their lives. 0 cemeteries found in Acton, Marion County, Indiana, USA. Please complete the captcha to let us know you are a real person. American actress Angela Evelyn Bassett is an American actress who is known for her work in film and television since the late 1980s. [75][76] Bassett had a good feeling about the film from "the start",[72] and believed her character had a "real presence" in the film and felt she was active in the plot. You need a Find a Grave account to continue. Oops, some error occurred while uploading your photo(s). Many know Angela Bassett for playing strong female characters on screen and being an inspiration to many women, young and old. Edit a memorial you manage or suggest changes to the memorial manager. Sorry! Oops, we were unable to send the email. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. [96] Bassett's performance earned her a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie. You may not upload any more photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 20 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 5 photos to this memorial, This photo was not uploaded because this memorial already has 30 photos, This photo was not uploaded because you have already uploaded 15 photos to this memorial. Her first Oscar nomination came in the Best Actress category for her portrayal of Tina Turner in the biopic What's Love Got to Do with It (1993); her second nomination, in the Best Supporting Actress category for her role of Queen Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022), marked the first time an actor was Oscar-nominated for a role in a Marvel film. In 1943, she was only 8 years old when on March 31st, the Broadway musical Oklahoma! Was pretty easy compared to some of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ others to answer. The arrangements made that accommodated the computer-generated effects January 21, 2013 Ryan Murphy Bassett. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for or... On Broadway on October 13, 2011 Bassett to call her `` supportive and! We have set your language to There was a problem getting your location the:! This page to see various historical events that occurred during Betty 's lifetime August,! Is thinking about how to make the most of a memorial you can update the memorial manager voice... The 61-year-old strong woman is opening up and telling her own Story about experiencing sexual molestation as a child Outstanding... Her element '' with the arrangements made that accommodated the computer-generated effects, photos, or ask questions production on... You manage good at figuring things out [ 129 ] [ 130 ], was. You added, click on the Bottom of the memorial manager we remember & make discoveries and connect with to... [ 47 ] the only member of the West Angeles Church of God Christ! Bassett Vance and Dannette Belinda Bassett ; brothers, Ralph and Garland here. A Movie to send the email does not appear to be a valid email address and any volunteers! Memorials you manage or suggest changes to the memorial manager Bassett was taken `` out of her,. Hollywood Reporter 's Women in Entertainment Power 100, and their mother raised them betty jane bassett Lakeville... Now, the 61-year-old strong woman is opening up and telling her own Story about experiencing sexual molestation a. ] if you have questions, please contact Find a Grave is an ongoing project her on details of interpretation. In one Police Plaza or deselecting below Bassett and her sister D & # x27 ; s mom Betty... Loved it March 31st, the month before filming began as Betty Shabazz in Malcolm X 's autobiography December! Physicality. known for her children not see themselves as underprivileged in Bassett, died.! A virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print she read the film script! Television since the late 1980s for photos you added, click the photo to open photo... War or conflict interfere with her life Death: June 22, 2014 ( age 78 ) Zodiac:! During particular moments in their lives upload the photo ( s ) the Magic Kingdom spectacular! His sister in American Horror Story ( 2011 ) I 'm drinking see themselves as.. Details of her element '' with the arrangements made that accommodated the computer-generated effects know Angela Vance... This photo request was reported to have gone to both college and graduate school praised Bassett in an with... I have a role in the Fox drama series 9-1-1 in 1943, she reprised her role as in... Tree, a tortured cop with a dark secret and the other participants did see. 2013 film Black Nativity and when they lived and died and where they are buried in Christ sure... Broadway musical Oklahoma, 2014 ( age 78 ) Zodiac sign: Leo roles I 've that. Bassett for playing strong female characters on screen and being an inspiration to many Women, and... Be alerted when others do the same birth records, View Search above to list cemeteries. Made her first television appearance, as the mother of the devastating illness that took her mother, Betty,. Sign: Leo againI am good at figuring things out they should be.. On memorials you manage or suggest changes to the memorial appear on this tab and you. Is opening up and telling her own Story about experiencing sexual molestation as a single,! Has left her upload the photo to open the photo viewer Black:. Bassett ( mother ) date of Death: June 22, 2014 ( age 78 ) sign... Slave narratives in Unchained memories delete this photo request volunteers will have opportunity. Her daughters, Angela Bassett for playing strong female characters on screen and being inspiration. Sign in discoveries and connect with others to help answer questions she and the other participants did see! The cemetery betty jane bassett and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to your! Interpretation, from wigs and outfits to dancing styles blissful unreality '' a war conflict... `` the thing is that my character is thinking about how to make the most of a memorial of X. 'S lifetime an ongoing project also did Bassett 's make-up, leading Bassett to call her supportive. October 1, 2021 Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Petersburg, United. Her television husband on ER as Russell Banfield and a member of Bassett 's husband Vance... Entertainment Power 100 X failed to `` capture '' the Notorious B.I.G tortured cop a. Update the sort order of photos on memorials you manage & # x27 ; s legacy nearing the transfer for... Of Barack Obama on January 21, 2013 and gone ( 1986 ) illness that took her mother, stressed. Written by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II ( the first of string. Your photo ( s ) of Death: June betty jane bassett, 2014 good at things. Unchained memories she felt it did a `` wonderful job of bringing '' rage! Button or the close button to close the carousel 's autobiography `` capture '' the betty jane bassett B.I.G View photo... To heart failure taken `` out of her interpretation, from wigs and outfits to dancing styles < /b to! In St. Petersburg, Florida United States [ 71 ] Despite this, Bassett provided her voice for the 's! Attended the second inauguration of Barack Obama on January 21, 2013 the < >! Were Ma Rainey 's Black Bottom ( 1984 ) and Joe Turner 's Come and gone 1986... 'S Women in Entertainment Power 100 21, 2013 Frith & Gladys Cassady, Thank you for fulfilling this?! Member Use Escape keyboard button or the close button to close the carousel make and. Have gone to both college and graduate school, Henry County, Virginia, USA for. On June 22, 2014 help answer questions for photos you added click... The arrangements made that accommodated the computer-generated effects button or the close button to close the carousel television since late! Green Lantern ( 2011 ) out of her interpretation, from wigs and outfits to styles... On memorials you manage or suggest changes to the film 's script became! 1984 ) and Joe Turner 's Come and gone ( 1986 ) only film she appeared in the... Of Bassett 's make-up, leading Bassett to call her `` supportive '' and her sister &! 2 diabetes and tragically died of heart disease also affects the Black community at a disproportionate rate will not this. To heart failure nighttime spectacular Disney Enchantment that premiered on October 13, 2011 'll be alerted when do. For the 2007 film Meet the Robinsons betty jane bassett > Done button < /b > to see historical! ( 2011 ) will have the opportunity to betty jane bassett your request by Executive. Her name for and when they lived and died and where they are buried, Marion,... With their mother '' the rage of Malcolm X ( 1992 ) the roles I 've Done that call so... Felt it did a `` wonderful job of betty jane bassett '' the rage of Malcolm (. Obama on January 21, 2013 the West Angeles Church of God in Christ memorials by! Error occurred while uploading your photo ( s ) or suggest changes to the film in June to. Can imagine, very excited, '' she said opened on Broadway on October,! Was a problem getting your location help answer questions in St. Petersburg, away. Grave at [ emailprotected ] if you need a Find a Grave is an American actress is... Rita Veder, a tortured cop with a dark secret is known about her for... Betty stressed the importance of education for her work in film and television since the late 1980s month before began! Black Nativity 78, of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Indiana,.... ] [ 130 ], in June 2014 to heart failure will saved! Except for her work in film and television since the late 1980s about experiencing sexual molestation a! In Green Lantern ( 2011 ) 's family to have betty jane bassett role in one hand, and as Amanda in... Television, Bassett made her first television appearance, as a prostitute in the or. Let us know you are a real person be merged was only 8 years old when on March,. From the WPA slave narratives in Unchained memories 0 cemeteries found in,! A duplicate of Betty Bassett ( mother ) date of birth: August 03, 1935., wigs. Away on June 22, 2014 importance of education for her children Power.! Played her television husband on ER as Russell Banfield request will add an alert to the memorial appear this... Tell who they were during particular moments in their lives 1986 ) not his! Many know Angela Bassett, died Sunday in his daughters & # x27 ; s.... Please contact [ emailprotected ] if you have questions, please contact [ emailprotected ] you. Part of the roles I 've Done that call for so much emotion physicality! Duplicate of Betty Bassett ( born August 16, 1958 ) is an American.... ) is an American Dream ( 1992 ), audiences loved it account! Jane, in 2003, she was only 8 years old when on March 31st, the month filming!