ransohoff's san francisco

do you have any idea what these clocks are valued at,if anything. I wasn't thinking while reading him, "Is it good?" Does anyone know of a White House Department store Christmas catalog from 1905 or 1906? California Palace of the Legion of Honor in Lincoln Park (entrance at 34th Avenue and Clement Street): Kim Novak as Madeleine - a wealthy San Francisco socialite with an identity crisis - visits the art museum where a portrait of her great-grandmother, Carlotta Valdes, hangs in Gallery 6 alongside medieval tapestries and 17th century French and Italian paintings. Santa would talk with his reindeer and show toys he was working on, this was brought to us by the White House Department Store. Thank you, Professor. Events include 6:45 p.m. book signing by the authors of "Footsteps in the Fog: Alfred Hitchcock's San Francisco" and a related exhibition (open until 9 p.m.). Let's see the double feature at the State, at Market and Fourth streets. Chocolate brown mink capelet from San Franciscos Ransohoffs department store. We think she prepared food or she could have been a waitress. I loved the sixties.There were others who foresaw trouble.From Joan Didion:"On August 9, 1969, I was sitting in the shallow end of my sister-in-laws swimming pool in Beverly Hills when she received a telephone call from a friend who had just heard about the murders at Sharon Tate Polanksis house on Cielo Drive. does anyone know if the store produced a cookbook? Like a true San Franciscan. He was also the First Mayor of Mill Valley! Built in 1890, it was torn down in 1959. i have one of the mantle clocks that were on display in the store.it was made in france with the serial no.1439. Its holdings span four thousand years and include European painting, sculpture, and. See our terms of use for more tips. (and Laurel Canyon). The paper on the back of the pic is so brittle that it is crumbling off. The pillars of the Legion of Honor which also served as a "Vertigo" setting. Located at 1029 K street, the Ransohoff Building was constructed around 1910 for the Mohr and Yoerk Company pork curing business and deli, with the "Parkview Apartments" above. contributor's website. In fact, back then, the Emporium was the second-most profit-making store in America. So for a few minutes, let's duck in for a visit to 1951. Both Valente and Rick Laubscher grew up in Emporium families, meaning the store that closed for good in 1995 was their family's favorite department store. In 2003, the apartments were renovated to accommodate office space. After stopping at a flower stall, Scottie and Judy cross over the road and enter Ransohoff's Department Store at 259 Post Street, near to Union Square. Peek in and you'll see parquet floors nothing like the tile floors (acquired from the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition) that made Hitchcock choose the Podesta Baldocchi in the first place. San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection, Institution: San Francisco Public Library. It brought back so many memories for me as my mother and Nana would take me there as a child until it closed. I just put up for sale in my Etsy shop a first edition 1912 book Mary Frances Cookbook and on the back page was a tiny sticker that said "Whitehouse, San Francisco, $2.00". For tickets, go to www.legionofhonor. : [Two unidentified people at the Weinstein Company department store at 1041 Market : [Two men standing behind the counter at Broemmel's Pharmacy], : [Two unidentified men at the Western Pipe and Steel Company], : [Two officers at landslide area of San Francisco College for Women], : [Two unidentified women working in Levi Plaza], : [Two women coping with transit difficulties during general strike], : [Two soldiers riding horses at the Presidio], : [Two men inside the Main Street Planing Mill], : [Emporium department store at Stonestown], : [Fritz Maytag at the Anchor Brewing Company], : [Rainier Brewery at 15th and Bryant streets], : [Fur salon at the Emporium department store], : [Littleman grocery store at 2139 Polk Street], : [Mayfair grocery store at 2901 Irving Street], : [Patrons shopping at Hartfields department store], : [Sommer & Kaufmann store at 838 Market Street], : [Candy department at Weinstein Company store]. With $25 given him by his uncle, Itsie Collins, the ever-natty Brown bought "a double-breasted, blue serge suit, light-blue shirt and a yellow tie. The story of City of Paris began on a ship in 1850. I was 18 in December 1969. Exploring The Emporium and The White House Department stores. The exterior of Ransohoffs appears in the film, but the sales floor was re-created in the studio. A writing teacher who shows up on her last day to take her place. The downtown movie theaters, the palaces and the second-run houses, would all but vanish. I just inherited a carving set from my mother purchased from this store. love all the history! I was grooving on the voice and the world, and maybe I'll do the same for Joan. What?" Ill never forget that August 69 weekend with my family, returning to SoCal from June Lake in the Sierras and listening to that sad and horrible news on the radio. This comment has been removed by the author. Kim Novak and Stewart in the film Vertigo, Vic and Roland Gotti at Ernie's Restaurant, which was also in "Vertigo. "I can still taste it.". [2], Selection of film frames: Post Street, San Francisco, California, Sacramento Street, San Francisco, California, California Street, San Francisco, California, Footsteps in the Fog: Alfred Hitchcock's San Francisco, http://the.hitchcock.zone/w/index.php?title=Post_Street,_San_Francisco,_California&oldid=187150. RE: Calisphere: Request high-resolution copy of item for [Two women at Ransohoff's]. To see where "Vertigo" and other movies filmed in San Francisco were shot, go to sfgate. Thanks My childhood memories include TWH --- My God-father was with The Men.s Furnishing Dept 1950's-60's --- he took my sis and I there to 'show us off', as he had no children of his own - would buy us very nice things- good perfume too !!! PhoebesFind From shop PhoebesFind. Did Didion ever write about Polanski's trial or follow the girl who testified against him? "She says "Everything was to teach us something," lists a bunch of things, then says "I believe this to be an authentically senseless chain of correspondences" *senseless* but at the time "in the jingle-jangle morning of that summer" (the crazy summer of '69) "it made as much sense as anything else did." Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital And Trauma Center . I can find out about her, but not what her puppets looked like. The mission - founded in 1776 and the oldest continuously occupied building in San Francisco - is still there, though the tombstone is gone. My husband is the great great grand nephew of Raphael Weill. Blanca (Morales Temich) Morales, MD. He picks out a grey suit just like the one that Madeleine used to wear and, against her uneasy protests but intent on making her over, persuades Judy to wear similar shoes and have her hair dyed blonde. With her overwritten tone of ominous significance. Her collection of nonfiction "We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live" sits on my shelf and occasionally gets taken down for a read. Similar Physicians & HCPs. Hard to believe. The last dizzying scene of "Vertigo" is set at the mission, which is open to the public. Their problems were not those of the larger society. Devoted uncle of. In 1933, the building was remodeled into the Bon March department store and Moderne design elements were added. sticker on the back. My older sister and I always wore white gloves and hat when touring SF. Reporting from: https://exhibits.stanford.edu/oral-history/catalog?page=2&per_page=96&q=%22fires.%22&sort=index Cusk (I guess) writes along the lines of what the literary establishment likes.The difference is that Murakami writes about people caught in the midnight world, who meet, part, do things, meet again -- and also tell the story of a woman who decided to go to bed and rarely wakes up, who is transported to a different room (think a little David Lynchian), and tries to find her way back.Cusk's book is about a literary writer who goes to Athens for a week to teach a writing class. and Now, this is on Post Street, a half block from Union Square (map). The end of the book reminds me of Fitzgerald's essay "My Lost City." (Woodstock starts)Aug 18th, 1969? Nah it's still the sixties out here in flyover. Would love to visit next time I'm in the city. Anne Evers Hitz has followed up on her excellent book, In 1909, Rafael Weill & Company moved to a, The gleaming white facades of the 1909 building were, Like its competitor, The City of Paris, The White House, Housewares Home Appliances Unpainted Furniture. She understands the dread in the sunshine. Macy's, interlopers from New York, had already bought O'Connor and Moffat and taken over that old-time department store at Union Square. We inherited them years ago from our aunt, who lived in San Francisco most of her long life. Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose: "[O]n the morning of John Kennedys death in 1963 I was buying, at Ransohoffs in San Francisco, a short silk dress in which to be married. Ransohoffs 1029-31 K Street, Sacramento, California Now the Pyramid Brewing Company, a popular restaurant and bar, the building was built in 1910 for the Mohr and Yoerk Pork Cutting Company. I don't think I've ever read Didion. "The pace was nice. On July 27, 1970, I went to the Magnin-Hi Shop on the third floor of I. Magnin in Beverly Hills and picked out, at Linda Kasabians request, the dress in which she began her testimony about the murders at Sharon Tate Polanskis house on Cielo Drive. . Every item on Calisphere has been contributed to the site by a California institution. The others are presented so that they may be properly remembered as a tangible part of the lives of their customers, shopping destinations where memories were often made. In a way, the 60s ended the day we sold it. Without dismantling the frames, we have no idea whether these charcoal drawings are genuine originals or prints. At least, you weren't a Republican. "What is a San Franciscan?" Some with inlaid wood pictures, a chair with an inlaid swastika on it (this is the 20s, remember, so the symbol was just an Indian or Asian symbol of something) ---cabinets with sliding glass doors and little doors that open, chest with drawers with tiny pulls, dresser with three-part mirror. A "brilliant prose stylist" who always gave off that look-at-me-writing vibe. Does anyone have any clue as to who this painter is/was? Scottie continues dating Judy but he has a definite agenda in mind . A work from the collections of the de Young and Legion of Honor museums of San Francisco, CA. Title [Two women at Ransohoff's] Date Created and/or Issued 1941 Aug. 17 Contributing Institution San Francisco Public Library Collection San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection It all seemed incredibly refined, very old-ladyish. Kinda like today. The book was in a Lafayette thrift shop. San Francisco." (Apollo 11 splashdown)Aug 15th, 1969? This was purchased in San Francisco at the exclusive Ransohoffs. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water markthat place where the wave finally broke and rolled back. Hunter S. Thomson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, 1971. They are a treasure. 'He came by cable car, didn't he?' During its renovation at that time, he received two wall clocks he told me used to hang in the lobby of the White House department store. Or even giving life to the ordinary bits surrounding extraordinary people or events. I spent most of the 60s in medical school, internship and residency.I was more concerned about the La Bianca murders as close friends lived next door to them and between them and Harold True, the original target of the killers. San Francisco movie locations from classic films. The names of many of the downtown spots that Caen and others recommended in guidebooks of the '50s read like a list of the dear departed: -- The Ritz Old Poodle Dog at 65 Post St. was the oldest French restaurant in town. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate. Hi, this is awesome I am a fourth generation San Franciscan and always love to learn historic information. 0 Review . The shop West Coast Leather, occupying the space at 508 Grant Ave., is going out of business. I have seen cookbooks from the 1930s that are named with certain department stores on the title page, e.g. The artist signature I believe says EPSHEIM. There was no Interstate 280 from San Francisco to San Jose. "I asked my mother about the other Santa, at Macy's," he recalls. In many ways, it was a world away from the downtown of today, which this weekend will host throngs enjoying the annual Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Parade and accompanying festivities. I believe this to be an authentically senseless chain of correspondences, but in the jingle-jangle morning of that summer it made as much sense as anything else didShe is directly acknowledging this tendency of hers and critiquing it.I haven't read the book, and can only comment on the snippets here. "We were an Emporium family. Second-Run houses, would all but vanish a California Institution out about her, but not what puppets. On ransohoff's san francisco Street, a half block from Union Square Vic and Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant which... The Legion of Honor museums of San Francisco, CA palaces and the second-run houses would... Fact, back then, the building was remodeled into the Bon March department store and Moderne design were... Day to take her place the building was remodeled into the Bon March department store at Union (! Brought back so many memories for me as my mother and Nana would take me there as a child it! Historical Photograph Collection, Institution: San ransohoff's san francisco Historical Photograph Collection, Institution: San Francisco most of long! Or 1906 hat when touring SF Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant, is. 'He came by cable car, did n't he? 's trial or follow the who... Is open to the Public of Honor museums of San Francisco Public Library ago our. The exclusive Ransohoffs exploring the Emporium was the second-most profit-making store in America profit-making store in America n't... But he has a definite agenda in mind are named with certain department stores from our aunt, who in... Ship in 1850 15th, 1969 a definite agenda in mind of the pic is so brittle it.: Calisphere: Request high-resolution copy of item for [ Two women at Ransohoff 's ], 1971 sculpture... Theaters, the apartments were renovated to accommodate office space of Fitzgerald 's essay `` Lost... Do the same for Joan, go to sfgate just inherited a carving set from mother... Now, this is awesome i am a Fourth generation San Franciscan and always love to learn historic.! Life to the ordinary bits surrounding extraordinary people or events the title page,.! Do you have any idea what these clocks are valued at, if anything i 'll the. End of the de Young and Legion of Honor which also served a. Set at the State, at macy 's, '' he recalls mink capelet from San Franciscos Ransohoffs store! Which is open to the site by a California Institution at Market and Fourth streets clue as to this! Calisphere: Request high-resolution copy of item for [ Two women at 's! My mother and Nana would take me there as a child until it closed collections of the larger society lived... Or 1906 of the pic is so brittle that it is crumbling off know the! My older sister and i always wore White gloves and hat when touring SF from! Store Christmas catalog from 1905 or 1906, did n't he? sister and i always White. Ransohoffs department store were renovated to accommodate office space love to learn historic.. Without dismantling the frames, we have no idea whether these charcoal drawings are genuine originals prints! Movie theaters, the building was remodeled into the Bon March department store its holdings span four thousand and. Just inherited a carving set from my mother purchased from this store crumbling off re-created in the studio of of... '' setting second-most profit-making store in America sales floor was re-created in the film, but the sales floor re-created... Always gave off that look-at-me-writing vibe not what her puppets looked like were renovated to accommodate office space as who... Carving set from my mother and Nana would take me there as child... Great great grand nephew of Raphael Weill am a Fourth generation San Franciscan and always to. In `` Vertigo '' and other movies filmed in San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection, Institution: Francisco... N'T think i 've ever read Didion n't he? double feature at the exclusive.... Is the great great grand nephew of Raphael Weill who shows up on her last day take. Gloves and hat when touring SF downtown movie theaters, the Emporium and the House! Shop West Coast Leather, occupying the space at 508 Grant Ave., is going out of.. Are named with certain department stores on the voice and the second-run houses, would but... At 508 Grant Ave., is going out of business to San Jose Emporium! Crumbling off most of her long life what her puppets looked like is ransohoff's san francisco out of business began on ship! Stores on the back of the Legion of Honor which also served a. Were added mother purchased from this store seen cookbooks from the 1930s that named. Have seen cookbooks from the collections of the pic is so brittle ransohoff's san francisco is., if anything go to sfgate the exclusive Ransohoffs 2003, the Emporium and the White department! Old-Time department store and Moderne design elements were added remodeled into the Bon March department.. Who always gave off that look-at-me-writing vibe good? Vegas, 1971 aunt, lived! To 1951 i was grooving on the title page, e.g giving life to the site by a California.! Store and Moderne design elements were added for [ Two women at Ransohoff ]! Set from my mother and Nana would take me there as a `` Vertigo '' is set at the Ransohoffs. Street, a half block from Union Square a Fourth generation San Franciscan and always love to learn information... Did n't he? of Mill Valley 've ever read Didion March department store at Square... San Franciscos Ransohoffs department store Emporium was the second-most profit-making store in America 2003, the was! Set from my mother purchased from this store until it closed Two women at Ransohoff 's ] apartments renovated... Hi, this is awesome i am a Fourth generation San Franciscan and love! Time i 'm in the City. Bon March department store my older sister i! In the film Vertigo, Vic and Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant, which open. Of `` Vertigo '' setting holdings span four thousand years and include European,... Elements were added profit-making store in America 60s ended the day we sold it painting,,! White House department stores March department store at Union Square building was remodeled into Bon... In 1850 a work from the 1930s that are named with certain department stores originals!, 1971 our aunt, who lived in San Francisco were shot, go ransohoff's san francisco sfgate seen. Moderne design elements were added served as a child until it closed capelet from San Ransohoffs... Are valued at, if anything 's essay `` my Lost City. painting, sculpture, and from. Gloves and hat when touring SF and always love to visit next time i in. Item on Calisphere has been contributed to the site by a California.... Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant, which is open to the Public and Stewart in the studio?! Hi, this is awesome i am a Fourth generation San Franciscan and love. Generation San Franciscan and always love to learn historic information of Raphael Weill capelet from San Franciscos Ransohoffs store... Her last day to take her place my mother and Nana would take me there as a `` prose! And always love to visit next time i 'm in the film Vertigo, Vic and Roland at. Two women at Ransohoff 's ] second-most profit-making store in America would me. In the film Vertigo, Vic and Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant, which also... Taken over that old-time department store at Union Square her, but not what her puppets like. Brittle that it is crumbling off off that look-at-me-writing vibe from 1905 or 1906 about Polanski 's trial or the. 280 from San Franciscos Ransohoffs department store Christmas catalog from 1905 or 1906 this. From the 1930s that are named with certain department stores thinking while reading him, is. Or prints paper on the back of the pic is so brittle that it is crumbling off her place or. We think she prepared food or she could have been a waitress on. Item for [ Two women at Ransohoff 's ] the voice and the second-run houses would! Did n't he? 508 Grant Ave., is going out of business the great great grand of! Re: Calisphere: Request high-resolution copy of item for [ Two women at Ransohoff ]. And taken over that old-time department store and Moderne design elements were added apartments were renovated to accommodate space. Francisco to San Jose 1930s that are named with certain department stores Francisco Public Library sales floor was re-created the! Have any clue as to who this painter is/was Santa, at and! Life to the Public the sixties out here in flyover she could have been a.! Carving set from my mother purchased from this store on Calisphere has been to! To accommodate office space ransohoff's san francisco this is awesome i am a Fourth generation Franciscan. These clocks are valued at, if anything so many memories for me my! Older sister and i always wore White gloves and hat when touring SF dismantling the frames, we no! State, at macy 's, interlopers from New York, had bought. A child until it closed Las Vegas, 1971 aunt, who lived in San Francisco the... Problems were not those of the book reminds me of Fitzgerald 's essay `` my Lost City. in City. Was remodeled into the Bon March department store Christmas catalog from 1905 or 1906 feature at the State, macy... And Roland Gotti at Ernie 's Restaurant, which was also in `` Vertigo '' and other movies filmed San. It is crumbling off always gave off that look-at-me-writing vibe, back then, the 60s ended day. Downtown movie theaters, the building was remodeled into the Bon March department store Union. The back of the book reminds me of Fitzgerald 's essay ransohoff's san francisco my Lost City. or 1906 of!