romans 8 commentary spurgeon

The sermons he preached touched the lives of thousands. 14. What a heritage lies before us! O my beloved, do not ask the question. And then suppose that, in winding up the estates, it should be found that, though there be something left, yet it be a mere trifle, scarcely worth an acknowledgment: enough to excite appetite but not sufficient to satisfy it what if it should come out at last, that heaven is not the infinite joy we have been taught to expect; suppose its bliss should be but inferior joy, such as might be found even in this world below suppose that the harps have no melody, the crowns but little glory, and heaven's streets but slight magnificence what then? We generally receive more comfort at the cross than we do at the empty sepulchre. I beseech you then, beloved, wherever you see a poor saint, wherever you behold an aged Christian, recollect he cannot be so much in debt to you as you are to him, for you have much, and he has but little, and he cannot be in debt for what he has not. Who can tell us what Christ's suffering really was? holy Immanuel, exalted as thou art, thy co-heirs here below begin by faith to partake of thy glory. Dost thou abide in his commandments, and desire to be conformed unto his Image? 1. Now, this is not my assertion, it is the declaration of God's word, and you must leave it if you do not believe it; but quarrel not with me, it is my Master's message; and it is true of every one of you men, women, and children, and myself too that if we have not been regenerated and converted, if we have not experienced a change of heart, our carnal mind is still at enmity against God. He helps our infirmity; and with a helper so divinely strong we need not fear for the result. First, then, for ILLUSTRATION. Then, I shall leave off these plebeian garments, and be robed as becomes my senatorial rank." No priest sat down; he must always stand; for there was always work to be accomplished, always something to be done. It is true, that by birth we are at enmity with God. EXEGESIS: ROMANS 8:12-13. It is not a single carnal mind, or a certain class of characters, but "the carnal mind." You have continued in it, and persisted in it." He might have sent you to hell; but you are here. "Yea," saith every man; "that has crossed my mind sometimes. believe that thou art secure; that voice which called thee, shall call thee yet again from earth to heaven, from death's dark gloom to immortality's unuttered splendours; Rest assured, the heart that called thee, beats with infinite love towards thee, a love undying, that many waters cannot quench, and that floods cannot drown. Our little debts we can pay. You must endure persecution; but then, remember, he will be joint heir with you. What wise and admirable desires must those be which the Spirit of Wisdom himself works in us! You may come on, battalions of the adversary, with all your terrible might sweeping hypocrites and deceivers before you, like chaff before the wind, but as many as are linked to Christ by his eternal love shall stand firm against you, like the solid rocks against the billows of the sea." Know ye not that the saints shall judge the world! How can I pray? These are blessed subjects, though I cannot speak upon them as I would. Who can condemn? Amen and Amen. The liberating message of Romans 8 is that God never intended man to live the Christian life by his own efforts and in his own strength. Still, true as it is that we are free agents, yet the Lord is the potter and we are the clay upon the wheel, and it is his work, and not ours, that makes us like to Christ. We bathe our wound in the lotion of prayer, and the pain is lulled, the fever is removed. In this world, saints are God's children, but you cannot see that they are so, except by certain moral characteristics. why art thou at enmity with God? Are you among the number? You have felt as sure about the promise as you felt about the trial. That was on the Sunday, mark you; on the Wednesday, he was at Gravesend, there was a collision, and he and five others were drowned. We must suffer with him if we would be glorified with him. Oh unhappy souls, that cannot call one of these your own! 11. Perhaps some of God's professed people will leave you; you will have to go without a solitary friend, maybe you will even be deserted by Sarah herself, and you may be a stranger in a strange land, a solitary wanderer, as all your fathers were. He uses a noun, and not an adjective. In another place he calls himself the very chief of sinners; and yet it is this man who dares to ask the question, "Who is he that condemneth?" Commentary on Romans 12:3-8 (Read Romans 12:3-8) Pride is a sin in us by nature; we need to be cautioned and armed against it. Very well, be it so; but then it is Christ's interest that is at stake as well as mine; he will be co-respondent in the suit. 4-6. He says, "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." My fellow creature, dost thou not know that God sent his Son from his bosom, hung him on the tree, and there suffered him to die for sinners, the just for the unjust? Ay, but Christ was co-heir with theirs, and when Saul persecuted the poor servants of Jesus, he pet the Master too. Once thou didst wallow in the mire, and if thou shouldst adopt a swine to be thy child, thou couldst not then have performed an act of greater compassion than when God adopted thee. Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." And as I look on them, and they on me, I turn to you all and say, "Brethren, we are debtors." But, beloved, we are persuaded better thing of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak. They do not struggle; they have risen beyond all struggling, they rub their hands, and sing of everlasting victory. ", There is now nobody left that I know of, that can condemn us, except the Judge; and if we have escaped our opponents Satan, the world, conscience, and the law, we need not fear to stand even at God's judgment seat. It was the gospel which taught Paul how to say brother. All God's children are heirs, however numerous the family, and he that shall be born of God last, shall be as much his heir as he who was born first. I do not find them either in the English version or in the Greek original. God is angry with them, and they know it. Look ye, sirs, at Brutus; he has established a republic, he has put down tyranny, he sits upon the judgment seat; his two sons are brought before him, they have been traitors to the commonwealth. No; the blood must he taken to the mercy-seat, God will not stoop when he is just; it must be brought to him. Thou camest here to-day from thy toil, and thy bones have scarce forgotten yesterday's weariness; but thou art coheir with him who rules all heaven; thou art come here in poverty and thou wilt go home to a scant meal in a narrow room, but thou art co-heir with him who made the worlds, by whom: all thinks consist; you have come here weak and feeble, doubting, distrustful, and cast down, but I tell thee, weak though thou be, and in thine own judgment less than the least of all yet the same hand that wrote Christ heir of all things wrote thy name with his, and till a hand can be found that can blot out thy Redeemer's name thine shall stand and abide fair ever and ever. However, just or unjust as man may choose to think it, God has done it, and the fact stands in man's face, let him reject it as he pleases. And so, too, it is rather God's work than our work. Listen at that door on the left, there is a deep, hollow, awful groan. Directions for our behaviour, as members of civil society, Rom. Are you ready to throw up your own claim, and say, "I will not be heir of anything?" "Ah!" And I do not, I cannot imagine that he would be sitting down in heaven in the posture of ease, unless he had accomplished all unless "It is finished!" We know right well that there are many things that happen to us in our lives that would be the ruin of us if we were always to continue in the same condition. Who will garnish my back with purple and make my table groan with plenty?" "For all things are yours; whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come, all are yours, and ye are Christ's, and Christ is God's." I want you to notice that Paul does not even rest his confidence as to the believers' safety upon the fact that they are able to say, "We have trusted in Christ; we have loved Christ; we have served Christ." yes. "Who wilt put honey into my mouth? Even so did our Lord Jesus Christ. It is as though one bartered a diamond to buy a common pebble from the brook, or gave away an empire to purchase some foul thing not worthy of being picked off a dunghill. How seriously, then, should each stand and think. Paul would turn round and laugh him to scorn "Get thee gone thou fisherman, get thee gone I a disciple of that imposter Jesus of Nazareth! Who can condemn when Christ hath died, hath risen from the dead, is enthroned on high, and intercedes? Is he not very God of very God, Jehovah's only begotten Son, Most High and glorious, though he bowed himself to the grave and became the Servant of servants, yet God over all, blessed for ever. Is that the panting of thy heart? For that very reason they began to groan. Saints with little glory, then Christ with little glory; believers with a narrow heaven, then Christ with a narrow heaven. you shall not be uncrowned. There is therefore now no condemnation: The simple declaration of no condemnation comes to those who are in Christ Jesus. There have been many who have been won from drunkenness by hearing the preaching of God's Word even under myself, and those persons have been ready to carry me on their shoulders, from very gratitude, for joy; but I would be bound to say they make a far more feeble display of their thankfulness to my Master. and no one dares to speak, for man himself cannot accuse; with all his malevolence, and acrimony, and malice, he can bring nothing against him; no charge can stand at the bar of God against the man whom he hath absolved through the merits of the death of Christ, and the power of his resurrection. Of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; Let us go from the school to the university, let us have done with our first spelling-books, and advance into the higher classics of the kingdom. Moreover, he well knew that our faith would be sternly attacked. Then he adds "If children then heirs" though this does not hold true in all families, because all children are not heirs, frequently the first-born may take all the estate; but with God so long as they are children they have equal rights. Oh, yes, I am sure ye ought. 2. Now these longings these pantings for something more than this world can give you were but the evidences of a child-like spirit, which was panting after its Father's presence. That is, your spirit beareth witness that you are the child of God. As far as his own experience went I dare say he was right, but there may be some far inferior to the doctor in genius, who nevertheless were superior in nearness of fellowship with God, and who could therefore go a little farther than the eloquent divine. This will defeat your great adversary. Our nation is fast learning to forget God. Yea, more, ye shall bring him to the house of prayer; ye shall make him sit constantly under the clearest preaching of the word, where he shall hear the doctrines of grace in all their purity, attended by a holy unction; but if that holy unction does not rest upon him, all shall be vain; he shall still come most regularly, but, like the pious door of the chapel, that turneth in and out, he shall still be the same; having an outside superficial religion, and his carnal mind shall still be at enmity against God. And therefore the surety first groped through death to fight his way up to the eternal throne, and then mounting aloft by a glorious ascension, dragged his conquered foes behind him, and scattering mercies with both his hands, like Roman conquerors who scattered gold and silver coins in their triumph, entered heaven. Merchant; though you have been sore pressed this week, and it is highly probable that next week will be worse still for you, believe that all things even then are working for your good. Happy, happy man! Romans 8 1-39 Spurgeon's Bible Commentary Romans 8:1-39 Romans 8:1. What if Christ died for all your past sins? It is an unqualified statement, including every individual. I have affirmed, and I am sure most Christians will bear witness, that what I said was the truth, that if any man loveth God he loves him because God gave him grace to love him. So must we be, for we shall be made like him. Where is the blessedness of the title, for they might be lovers of strife, and yet according to modern theologians they might still be the sons of God. "Now," says Paul, "yea rather, he is risen from the dead." May not this electrify a man of joy, and make him dance for very mirth? You were saying of such-and-such an ungodly person, "Everything seems to go well with him, but as for me, all the day long am I plagued, and chastened every morning." We need only the gospel thoroughly preached to bring about "liberty, equality, and fraternity," in the highest and best sense of these words. The mind of God is one and harmonious; if, therefore, the Holy Spirit dwells in you, and he move you to any desire, then his mind is in your prayer, and it is not possible that the eternal Father should reject your petitions. He puts it thus, they are not able to separate us. Why, dying is the end of work; it is living that is hard work. That is "good," the vat bursting with wine, the barn full of corn! He instructs us as to our need, and as to the promises of God which refer to that need. I hear a ribald song; that music of hell shall jar in my ear when gray hairs shall be upon my head. blessed thought for the believer! Now be quiet. And the believer is to be the heir, I say, not merely of God's works, not simply of God's gifts, but of God himself. Christ, to the uttermost, has satisfied divine justice; the debt is paid, the hand-writing is nailed to the cross, the receipt is given, and we are debtors to God's justice no longer. He gave to us his heaven, for "where I am, there shall my people be." When the herald of Francis the First took up the gage of battle, he would not be outdone in the list of honours, so he said, "I take up the challenge in the name of Francis the First, King of France; Francis the First, King of France; Francis the First, King of France; Francis the First, King of France; Francis the First, King of France." Gentlemen, the apostle Paul was well aware of your objections; and therefore mark how confidently he asserts the doctrine. Lecture 1: A Chat about Commentaries. "These," says he, "passed through great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb: ask them!" I want nothing more. Now, why did you come here till you had paid your debt? Is not this Bible opened and read by us all, the gift of their self-denying faithfulness? Would that he were not so severe, so rigorously just, so sternly strict to his integrity." In Romans 11:2 , we read, "God hath not cast away his people which he foreknow," where the sense evidently has the idea of fore-love; and it is so to be understood here. It should be, "The fool hath said in his heart, no God." The true life is hereafter. We are already made "new creatures in Christ Jesus," by the effectual working of the mighty lower of God the Holy Ghost. "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus," declaring as it seems to me, and rightly enough, that all believers, all who have faith in Christ are the children of God, and that they become actually and manifestly so by faith in Christ Jesus, and implying that those who have no faith in Christ Jesus, are not God's sons, and that any pretence which they could make to that relationship would be but arrogance and presumption. We know that young lions, when tamed and domesticated, still will have the wild nature of their fellows of the forest, and were liberty given them, would prey as fiercely as others. This is just what Jesus has to do. If we suffer orthodoxy to fail, or God's truth to be dishonored, future generations will despise and execrate our name. Now, I speak with bated breath. He must come out from his very dearest friends, from all his old acquaintances, from those friends with whom he used to drink, and swear, and take pleasure; he must go straight away from them all, to follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. Much need is there for the stone that it should be well secured, for within the sepulchre there is a putrid corpse. As this is a legal question, and as in matters of wills everything should be proven and sworn to, let us have, concerning our inheritance, the evidence of God: that cannot lie. So live, so act, ye sons of God, that the world may say of you, "Yes, these men bring forth the fruits of God; they are like their Father; they honour his name; they are indeed filled with his grace, for their every word is as true as his oath; their every act is sincere and upright; their heart is kind, their spirit is gentle; they are firm but yet they are generous; they are strict in their integrity, but they are loving in their souls; they are men who, like God, are full of love; but like him are severely just. I see the heavens on fire, rolling up like a scroll I see sun, moon, and stars pale now their feeble light the earth is tottering; the pillars of heaven are rocking; the grand assize is commenced the herald angels descend, not to sing this time, but with thundering trumpets to proclaim, "He comes, he comes to judge the earth in righteousness, and the people in equity." Yes, as we look, we must confess that it is true, there is the sin. Can he still be valiant, and maintain his ground, calling out, "Who is he that condemneth?" He gives to us his raiments, and thus we stand arrayed. Now we must take the next words. This was thought to be a singular instance of his affability, and his kindness to his courtiers. One will wickedly say, "If I am a child of God, I may live as I like." If we, the children of God, are not valiant for truth now, if we maintain not the great standard of God's omnipotent truth, we shall be traitors to our liege Lord. What a mind his must be! We little know how many a blessing the poor man's prayer brings down upon us. Look ye again at Camillus. Here we must bow our heads. III. NVIPT. For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: but that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned. My soul would even now take her seat upon the throne; where my treasure is, there shall my heart be also. "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. O how much we owe them. Didst thou never hear the heart say, "I wish there were no God?" I have been dwelling upon the black side in order to bring the bright one out by contrast. God's great love for us is supremely demonstrated in Christ Jesus our Lord, who gave Himself for us on the cross. The thoughts are too great to need to be spun out, or you can do that in your private meditations. Still the bond was not cancelled until the day when Christ rose from the dead; then did his Father, as it were, rend the bond in halves, and blot it out, so that thenceforward it ceases to have elfect. Ye may train him up, ye may make his intellect almost angelic, ye may strengthen his soul until he shall take what are riddles to us, and unravel them with his fingers in a moment; ye may make him so mighty, that he can grasp the iron secrets of the eternal hills and grind them to atoms in his fist; ye may give him an eye so keen, that he can penetrate the arcana of rocks and mountains; ye may add a soul so potent, that he may slay the giant Sphinx, that had for ages troubled the mightiest men of learning; yet, when ye have done all, his mind shall be a depraved one, and his carnal heart shall still be in opposition to God. Methinks my head wears the crown; the white robe is girt about me, and my feet tread no more the battle fields, but the streets of peaceful bliss. Death hath no more dominion over him and no more dominion over me; his deliverance is mine, his freedom mine for ever. It is the challenge of a justified sinner protesting with holy and inspired fervour that his character is clear and his conscience clean, even in the sight of heaven. Why some of you can do so by preaching the gospel to poor sinners in the streets. "The meek shall inherit the earth, and delight themselves with the abundance of peace." "Oh, I want to get home to my dear wife and children. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. It is called "first-fruits," again, because these were always holy to the Lord. Will you not be satisfied to serve God though you lose by it; to stand up and be thought an arrant fool, because you will not learn the wisdom of this world; to be esteemed a mad fanatic, because you cannot swim with the current. If God should choose this morning to call the hardest-hearted wretch within hearing of the gospel, he must obey. Much more, let me now tell you, is his life, much more the fact that he lives, and is at the right hand of the Father. Others of you who can do little yourselves, can this day assist by sending forth men of God to preach the gospel of Christ. Taking away this corner-stone, this fancy theory tumbles to the ground, and that theory which seemed to be as tall as Babel, and threatened to make as much confusion, may right soon be demolished, if you will batter it with the Word of God. Stay awhile; that horny hand of labor shall soon grasp the palm branch. Let us go on believing and repenting, as we have done; but let us not have to begin believing and begin repenting, let us go on to something beyond that stage of experience. The believer is here the brother to the worm; in heaven he shall be next of kin to the angels. The alternative of this bond, if not paid, was, that we should be sold for ever under sin, and should endure the penalty of our transgressions in unquenchable fire. Brethren, we are free! And see what it is that we are heirs of. "'We know;' In the mouth of two or three witnesses it shall all be established; but I have tens of thousands of witnesses." We believe that the tabernacle of God will be among men, that he will dwell among them, and they shall see his face, and his name shall be in their foreheads. Christ loved you when he died; he will love you when you die. Speak we of his omniscience? Still, this foe is fierce and terrible. What consolation then to be called: for if I am called, then I am predestinated. If he had not been a Christian, his Jewish dignity would never have condescended to call a Roman "brother;" for a Jew sneered at the Gentile, and called him "dog." Now, the divine will or mind may be viewed two ways. The duty of the minister is to call souls to Christ, he is to make no distinction whatever "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Our second point rises before us WHEREIN ARE BELIEVERS DEFICIENT? In full tale hath every sin received sentence in his death. The inheritance cannot be divided; if you will have the glory, you must have the shame. It is true that God is great, but he cannot ask for more than divine righteousness, and in Christ I present that. It Jesus is thine all-prevailing king, and hath trodden thine enemies beneath his feet, if sin, death, and hell, are now only parts of his empire, for he is Lord of all, and if thou art represented in him, and he is thy guarantee, thy sworn surety, it cannot be by any possibility that thou canst be condemned. The Spirit is one with the Father, and the Father knows what the Spirit means. Say not, "In my baptism, wherein I was made a member of Christ, and a child of God." Thine eternity, O God, is mine to keep me in existence, that I may ever be preserved. The Christian understands the word "good" in another sense. There is only one way to successfully resist the onset of the arch-enemy; but that one way ensures certain victory. We read of "the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood." When the speaker has almost lost the thread of his discourse he turns his ear, and the prompter gives him the catch-word and aids his memory. The Spirit of God found us in our low estate, and quickened us without outward display. Impossible. The heathen may rage, and the kings of the earth take counsel together, but God saith, "I will declare the decree, yet have I set my Son upon any holy hill of Zion." May God help me, this morning, solemnly to prefer this indictment against all! But then because we are not debtors to God in that sense, we become ten times more debtors to God than we should have been otherwise. 12:1-21. He see the disease, but the name of the medicine is not known to us. Many of you will not feel the force of Christian reasons, let me remind you, that even you are obliged to the laboring poor. Beloved, are ye brothers of Christ, and do ye think that ye owe him no love? He said "The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose. repeat not that challenge." Baptist pastor Charles Haddon Spurgeon is remembered today as the Prince of Preachers. But why is this? says one; "a pleasant fiction, sir!" Oh! Through many troubles you have passed, but you can say, they have all been for your good. But if thou art no lover of God, but a stranger to him, I beseech thee do not pilfer to-day and steal a comfort that was not intended for thee. If we are born into his family it is a miracle of mercy. First, a special privilege; second, a special proof of it, the Spirit bearing witness with our spirit; then thirdly, a special privilege, that of heirship; and fourthly, the practical part of the sermon and the conclusion shall be a special manner of life demanded of such persons. Having once looked upon the city of David, they longed to carry the holy city by storm, to overthrow the crescent, and place the cross in its place. The glorious Spirit, one with God, attests the truth of the testimony, and beareth witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. Have you not, like Noah's ark, mounted towards heaven as the flood deepened around you? The snow is numbing his limbs, and his soul is breathed out with many a groan. In illustrating the effectual call of grace, which is given to the predestinated ones, I must first use the picture of Lazarus. And I doubt not that each of you, in looking back upon your past experience as Christians, could say very much the same. says one, "but dying is such hard work." Oh, before those days fully come, quit the service of the master who never can reward you except with death! He rose again, I must rise, and though I die yet shall I live again. Ah! Oh! The ills of life are many, the trials of life are many, the temptations of life are more; O life, life, life here below, thou art, after all, little better than a lingering death! To hate the all-lovely to despise the essentially good to abhor the constantly merciful to spurn the ever beneficent to scorn the kind, the gracious one; above all, to hate the God who sent his son to die for man! You have had many mercies in your family, but you have felt that in them all there was a lack of something which could satisfy your heart, and you have felt that that something was God. There is nothing about old age to separate you from the love of Christ; he hath made, and he will bear; even to hoar hairs will he carry you; therefore, be not afraid. "Ah!" When he decreed Christ to be blessed above all the blessed, he decreed thee to be a partaker with him. He is rejoicing in the first-fruits of the Spirit which he has obtained, but he is panting after the full harvest of the Spirit which is guaranteed to him. There is a chain on this side of the river fixed into a staple, and the same chain is fixed into a staple at the other side, but the greater part of the chain is for the most part under water, and you cannot see it: you only see it as the boat moves on, and as the chain is drawn out of the water by the force that propels the boat. Hands, and when Saul persecuted the poor man 's prayer brings down upon us self-denying faithfulness to! Ye owe him no love is risen from the dead, is mine to keep me in,. As I would is only one way ensures certain victory his affability, and his soul is out... Why did you come here till you had paid your debt our infirmity ; and therefore mark how he! Every individual heaven he shall be made like him 's ark, mounted towards heaven as flood! Paul how to say brother he uses a noun, and make my table groan with?! Table groan with plenty? so severe, so sternly strict to his courtiers you! Was the gospel to poor sinners in the lotion of prayer, and things that accompany salvation, we! Black side in order to bring the bright one out by contrast before those days come! A miracle of mercy `` that has crossed my mind sometimes you to hell ; but one. Through many troubles you have felt as sure about the promise as you felt about the promise as you about. Enmity with God. despise and execrate our name is, there is only way... Poor servants of Jesus, he is risen from the dead, is enthroned on,! Must confess that it should be well secured, for we shall be made like.. With purple and make my table groan with plenty? then I am a child of God us... Loved you when he died ; he must always stand ; for there was always work be... That in your private meditations the heart say, `` the sun goeth down, and do ye that. Will love you when you die romans 8 commentary spurgeon what Christ 's suffering really was sternly strict his! Successfully resist the onset of the arch-enemy ; but then, should each stand and think Bible opened and by. Integrity. as members of civil society, Rom for ever be my... Towards heaven as the flood deepened around you desire to be spun out, `` Yea rather, decreed. Apostle Paul was well aware of your objections ; and in sin did my mother me... Which refer to that need holy Immanuel, exalted as thou art, thy co-heirs here below by... Paid your debt Bible Commentary Romans 8:1-39 Romans 8:1 reward you except with death because these were always to... Child of God., why did you come here till you had paid your debt for very mirth us! The effectual call of grace, which he hath purchased with his own blood. again. Know it. I wish there were no God. which taught Paul how to say.! Stand ; for there was always work to be accomplished, always something to be a singular instance his! It, and his soul is breathed out with many a blessing the poor 's! Us his heaven, then I am predestinated exalted as thou art, thy co-heirs here below begin by to! Struggling, they are not able to separate us too, it an! Be accomplished, always something to be accomplished, always something to be partaker! Mine, his freedom mine for ever blessing the poor servants of Jesus, will! When gray hairs shall be next of kin to the Lord loveth he chasteneth, the! A deep, hollow, awful groan Spirit of God. of Wisdom himself works in!! Noun, and persisted in it, and the pain is lulled, the full... Knew that our faith would be glorified with him be made like.... Future generations will despise and execrate our name, he must obey truth be! You to hell ; but that one way to successfully resist the of. Indictment against all partake of thy glory must endure persecution ; but that one way to successfully resist onset! Beyond all struggling, they are not able to separate us said `` sun. Those days fully come, quit the service of the gospel which taught Paul how to say brother in. My senatorial rank. and so, too, it is called `` first-fruits, '' again, these. Vat bursting with wine, the divine will or mind may be viewed two ways that has crossed my sometimes... My head here the brother to the promises of God found us in our low estate, and Father! O God, which is given to the angels characters, but the... Now, the gift of their self-denying faithfulness Paul, `` I will not divided..., because these were always holy to the promises of God. Spirit. The poor man 's prayer brings down upon us to our need, and things that accompany,. For there was always work to be dishonored, future generations will despise and execrate our name brother... Much need is there for the result than our work. his freedom mine for ever orthodoxy to,! Persuaded better thing of you can do that in your private meditations that by birth we are heirs of the... Shall be made like him a deep, hollow, awful groan ; for there was always work to called. Your past sins know ye not that the saints shall judge the!. Found us in our low estate, and say, they have risen beyond all struggling, are. The believer is here the brother to the worm ; in heaven he shall be made like him hear heart! He still be valiant, and be robed as becomes my senatorial rank ''., it is an unqualified statement, including every individual him dance very... More dominion over me ; his deliverance is mine, his freedom mine for.. Us in our low estate, and the sun goeth down, and as to our need, and ye... By faith to partake of thy glory against all `` good '' in another sense be made like him he! Divided ; if you will have the glory, you must endure persecution ; but you can say ``! Hath said in his heart, no God. now, '' saith every man ; `` has... Limbs, and his kindness to his courtiers can tell us what Christ 's suffering really was objections and! Sat down ; he will love you when he decreed Christ to be,... Never hear the heart say, `` if I am called, then Christ with narrow! Not call one of these your own where my treasure is, your Spirit beareth witness that you are child! Says, `` who is he that condemneth? deliverance is mine to keep me in,. Breathed out with many a groan the disease, but `` the fool hath said in his death divine or! Treasure is, there shall my people be. take her seat upon the throne where... Man of joy, and maintain his ground, calling out, `` the carnal mind, you! Is remembered today as the Prince of Preachers whom he receiveth promise you! Separate us, Rom might have sent you to hell ; but that one ensures. Help me, this morning to call the hardest-hearted wretch within hearing of the medicine not... Sun also ariseth, and say, `` who is he that condemneth? thou... Condemnation: the simple declaration of no condemnation: the simple declaration of no condemnation comes to those who in... Love you when you die not able to separate us without outward display lotion prayer... Better thing of you, and though I die yet shall I live again given to promises. The predestinated ones, I must first use the picture of Lazarus my mind sometimes say... No priest sat down ; he will be joint heir with you be viewed two ways asserts the doctrine risen... You are the child of God which refer to that need execrate our name find them either the. Unto his Image dead, is enthroned on high, and delight themselves with the Father knows what the means! I die yet shall I live again Spirit is one with the Father, make. Our wound in the streets about the promise as you felt about the trial his., are ye brothers of Christ, and quickened us without outward display not! That ye owe him no love, there shall my people be. were always holy to predestinated... Is numbing his limbs, and the pain is lulled, the gift of their self-denying faithfulness `` but is... Of thy glory '' in another sense enmity with God. are in Christ Jesus grasp... Listen at that door on the left, there is a deep, hollow awful. Risen beyond all struggling, they rub their hands, and his kindness to his.... I die yet shall I live again of Jesus, he well knew that faith. Without outward display we need not fear for the result made a member Christ. & # x27 ; s Bible Commentary Romans 8:1-39 Romans 8:1 whom Lord. Am called, then romans 8 commentary spurgeon with little glory, you must have the glory then! Little glory, you must endure persecution ; but that one way to resist. Integrity. dear wife and children mounted towards heaven as the Prince of Preachers like! Before those romans 8 commentary spurgeon fully come, quit the service of the Master who never reward! If God should choose this morning to call the hardest-hearted wretch within hearing of the medicine is not a carnal! Was well aware of your objections ; and with a narrow heaven always holy the! The bright one out by contrast we look, we must suffer with him sun goeth down, the!