virgin atlantic pilots names

[30], In May 2014 Virgin Atlantic ended flights to Sydney. When factoring in bonuses and additional . Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Virgin Atlantic announces appointment of new CEO", "Coronavirus: Virgin Atlantic to cut 3,000 jobs and quit Gatwick", "UK Aeroplane and Helicopter AOC Holders (N-Z)", "Branson drops Air France Deal to Keep Control of Virgin Atlantic", "Virgin Atlantic Leaving Gatwick, Retiring 747s", "Virgin Atlantic to cut 3,000 jobs and quit Gatwick", "Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic is the second Virgin airline to declare bankruptcy", "A Solvent Recapitalisation of Virgin Atlantic", "Virgin Atlantic to join SkyTeam Alliance", "Branson's flights of fancy: The highs and lows of Virgin Atlantic. Virgin Galactic founder Sir Richard Branson (third from right) will launch on the company's first fully crewed flight on July 11, 2021 as part of a six-person crew. I decided in March 2020 to get my book published and then the work this year with the book has really involved project managing the development of it. And every aircraft that Virgin Atlantic has had since has also been named. [8], On 5 May 2020, it was announced that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the airline would lay off 3,000 staff, reduce the fleet size to 35 by the summer of 2022, retire the Boeing 747-400s[9] and would not resume operations from Gatwick following the pandemic. The airline's frequent-flyer program is styled 'the Flying Club'. In early 1994 I was invited to an interview with Virgin and here I still am some 25 years later. As a result of a High Court action, this additional payment was received shortly before Fields' death in 1997. However, this was before the UK Government announced the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, and employees were subsequently furloughed instead. When that door closes you are working for each other. Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited and Virgin Atlantic International Limited both hold Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Type A Operating Licences (AOC numbers 534[5] and 2435 respectively),[5] both of which permit these airlines, operating as Virgin Atlantic Airways, to carry passengers, cargo and mail on aircraft with 20 or more seats.[6]. [98][99] The deal would see the consortium combine Flybe and Stobart Air with Virgin Atlantic to create an integrated carrier operating under the Virgin Atlantic brand. Norse Atlantic, which operates a similar business model to Norwegian, agreed to lease Norwegian's fleet of 787-9 aircraft, but the -8 variant was left to languish at Glasgow Prestwick Airport. A Virgin Atlantic plane had to turn back mid-air and fly back to its departure airport as one of the pilots had not finished their training. [35], In 2019, Virgin Atlantic began to allow its female flight attendants to not wear makeup and have a choice to wear trousers rather than a skirt. or Best Offer. The airline will also take female pilots and engineers into schools so children can meet them and have the opportunity to ask questions. [19] During 1988, Club Air operated two Boeing727 jet aircraft on behalf of Virgin Atlantic; these served the Luton to Dublin route until about 1990. Will we be seeing more of Ada and Emily in the future? A Virgin Atlantic flight from London to New York was turned around Monday after it was determined that the pairing of pilots did not meet airline regulations. Paul: Robbie is a wheeler dealer, a modern Del BoyTrotter. "We used to have some pretty draconian rules about makeup," explains vice-president of communications . Virgin Atlantic's latest ad campaign has the tag line "see the world differently.". The key trends for Virgin Atlantic are shown below (from 2014 onwards, figures are for year ending December; earlier figures are for year ending February, and exclude Virgin Nigeria operations 20052008): Virgin Atlantic aircraft operate with a three-class cabin configuration: Economy, Premium (formerly Premium Economy),[7] and Upper Class - the business class product. [92], On 6 October 2014, Virgin Atlantic confirmed that the Little Red service would cease; flights to Manchester ended on 28 March 2015 and flights to Edinburgh and Aberdeen ended on 26 September 2015. Prior to working for Virgin I flew for a short haul carrier. Because the best, deserve the best. Branson reportedly donated the proceeds from the case to Virgin Atlantic staff. [57], Virgin Group sold a 49% stake in the airline to Singapore Airlines in 1999 for 600million. [112] In 2018, a previously stored Airbus A340-600 registered G-VNAP was returned to active use by Virgin Atlantic, and was renamed from Sleeping Beauty to Sleeping Beauty Rejuvenated. Though a beautiful country, it was hindered by the drug war, with gunfire in the city at night and inspecting the external hatch customs seals in case a kilo of flour was hitching a lift to MIA. [28] At the time, the OFT stressed that it should not be assumed that the parties involved had broken the law. In the 1990s, the refreshed design was introduced, removing the centre red stripe through the windows, engines were painted red, the Virgin Atlantic titles in grey were added along the main fuselage, and the 'Flying Lady' was introduced to the nose area. When I was at primary school a lady came to talk about a childrens book she had written and from that point I always thought it would be wonderful to write a book of my own. I was just converting to the captains seat when the company folded. [34], In July 2017, Air France-KLM nearly acquired a 31% stake in Virgin Atlantic for 220 million. Virgin Atlantic is looking for pilots to become First Officers, who have one of the following current type ratings: Airbus A319/320/321/330/350 Boeing 737/747/757/767/777/787 Candidates must have a minimum experience of 1,500 hours of total flying time on the above with at least 500 hours on the current type. [62], On 11 December 2012, Delta Air Lines confirmed the purchase of Singapore Airlines' 49% stake in Virgin Atlantic for 224 million, with plans to develop a transatlantic joint venture. The airline also operates a seasonal service from Edinburgh. [41], In March 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic, Richard Branson and Virgin Atlantic attracted criticism by asking employees to take eight weeks' unpaid leave. The flight, from Heathrow. The typical Virgin Atlantic Airline Pilot salary is 89,768 per year. "[65], In July 2017, Virgin Group agreed to sell a 31% stake in the airline to Air France-KLM for 220 million, leaving it with a 20% holding. My most recent job as a flight crew was the first time I had ever been outside of my hometown. Set to a soaring and soulful rendition of the gay anthem 'I Am What I Am', the advert sees a variety of people prepare to jet set and ends with . As a result, we needed more pilots and were joined by four guys from very different backgrounds. Virgin Atlantic uses a mixed fleet of Airbus and Boeing wide-body aircraft and operates to destinations in North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East and Asia from its main hub at LondonHeathrow, and its secondary hub at Manchester. They fill positions as pilots, in head office roles, mechanics and engineers, cabin crew, and more. What has been your experience as a woman working in aviation? Dave Mackay is the chief pilot of Virgin Galactic. Were committed to creating an environment that allows women to thrive in the workplace, by ensuring we have a gender balance in leadership positions, as well as creating a framework for future talent to flourish.. They were immediately sent off to do an eight-week training course in Miami where they learned all about flying the A340. G-VEILQueen of the Skieswhich was named by Queen Elizabeth II on 7 April 2004, marking the centenary of the Entente Cordiale; this frame exited the fleet in April 2016). After approximately 60 seconds, the pilots will shut down the rocket motor and you'll see the color out the window change from blue, through indigo and into an inky black, signaling your arrival in space. pension is pretty good, you pay 6% they put in 15% anything less then 6% and they put in 9%. A second A350 will be named Fearless Lady in honour of Eve Branson, Richards mother, who sadly died earlier in 2021. G-VFAB, Lady Penelope, exited the fleet in September 2015 after 21 years of service and was subsequently parted out. Speaking as part of Virgin Atlantic's Flight School, the pilot has shared what encouraged. Luckily, Virgin got 340s and were advertising for Airbus qualified pilots, and here we are 25 years later! After protracted and testy negotiations, Fields agreed to a reduced stake of 25% in the airline (which was renamed Virgin Atlantic) and became its first chairman. Soon after changing the name to Virgin Atlantic Airways, Fields sold his shares in the company after disagreements with Richard Branson over the management of the company. Virgin Atlantic pilots who are members of the Professional Pilots Union (PPU) will strike over Christmas, the union has announced. Virgin Atlantic purchased enough slots in 2012 to enable it to launch a domestic service on 31 March 2013, under the Little Red brand, operating a total of 12 daily services from London to Aberdeen (three), Edinburgh (six), and Manchester (three). [59], In November 2010, it was reported that Virgin Atlantic had appointed Deutsche Bank to begin a strategic review of options for the airline following the tie-up between British Airways and American Airlines. [118], Virgin Atlantic is considered to have a strong safety reputation. The Virgin flight attendant revealed that most of the airline's pilots enjoyed an indulgent yet selfish lifestyle while away. Virgin Atlantic is celebrating two iconic women this International Womens Day, by naming its brand new Airbus A350s in their honour. [17] Virgin Atlantic became profitable within the first 12 months, aided by sister company Virgin Records' ability to finance the lease of a secondhand Boeing747. The former BMI routes continued with rival airline British Airways. I had a fabulous trip to Havana, Cuba where I took a tour in a vintage American car and dined at a rooftop restaurant. In June 2015, Richard Branson stated that Virgin Atlantic had needed the aforementioned deal with Delta to survive, after losses of 233 million between 2010 and 2013. This button displays the currently selected search type. I applied to join while I was studying for my A-Level exams and was successful. Hes seen here standing next to the Giant Rolls Royce Trent XWB engine on the A350. The Times Digital Archive. This was part of Alaska's effort to grow significantly on the West Coast (including in San Francisco), while also preventing JetBlue from gaining market share in the region (since the airline was also interested in acquiring Virgin America). Barbie has had more than 200 careers in her 60-year history, and now three Virgin Atlantic careers are joining the ranks. Our site uses cookies for various reasons. Women still make up a minority of pilots, I get a lot of comments from customers about how its nice to see a woman on the flight deck because it is still fairly rare, although numbers are increasing. Two of our Airbus A350s are named in honour of two very inspirational women Eve Branson, mother of founder Richard, and Emmeline Pankhurst, founder of the Suffragette movement. Were on a mission to create a greener future for aviation. Virgin Atlantic also seemed like a great airline to work for in terms of the people who worked there and I have not been disappointed on this front, its so amazing to go to work and fly with great people on every single trip. We cant do it alone, and we know it wont be fixed overnight. At this time, not all countries offer this option on passports; those that do include the United States, India, Pakistan,[105] Nepal, Australia, Canada, Argentina, Colombia, Germany, Ireland, and Iceland. [33] In the same month, the airline announced it would cut 500 jobs to establish a more efficient management structure. [46] On June 7, Virgin Atlantic commenced cargo-only flights between Brussels Airport and London Heathrow, feeding the high demand for European cargo into its network via LHR. A Virgin Atlantic flight from London to New York was turned around Monday after it was determined that the pairing of pilots did not meet airline regulations. The Zenon team will have initial contact with you alongside supporting you throughout your application journey, from screening to final interview. Fields met British entrepreneur Richard Branson at a party in London during which he proposed a business partnership. Virgin Atlantic is allowing male cabin crew and pilots to wear skirts and female counterparts to wear trousers, so staff can "express their true identity" at work. Back in 1994 wed just started flying to Hong Kong and were taking delivery of a fleet of the new Airbus A340-300 aircraft to fly the route. "Short-haul pilots want to be long-haul pilots. Diversity and individuality are at the heart of Virgin Atlantic's latest advert, which champions the LGBTQ community among others. In 2019, Virgin Atlantic was the first major international airline to drop its makeup requirement for female cabin crew and allowed women to wear pants and flat shoes as part of their uniform . My love for flying started at an early age. Meet the Virgin Atlantic pilot whos now a published childrens author. "I can't see Delta wanting to operate the Virgin brand because if they do what does that say about the Delta brand? Virgin Atlantic operates a fleet consisting entirely of widebody aircraft from both Airbus and Boeing. I just don't see that the guy [Branson] has anything that stands out in terms of what he has achieved in the industry. What's your favourite Virgin Atlantic route? Air Europe, KLM, Swissair, Eurocypria, Air Lanka followed before joining Virgin at the beginning of 1994. focuses on STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths). . However, my favourite destination is Cape Town. Korean Air has secured UK competition approval for its proposed merger with fellow Korean operator Asiana, based on its supporting Virgin Atlantic's access to the London-Seoul route. Thank you for being amazing pilots and for everything youve done for Virgin Atlantic and our customers during these 25 years of flying. Early days of the route as Chris B emerges from the flight deck to see what Chris P and Rob thought of his landing. I chose to use female protagonists in order to re-enforce this message in my book. [36] In September 2019, it was announced Virgin Atlantic had outlined plans to expand. [14] However, faced with the prospect of direct competition from rival operator PEOPLExpress, a post-deregulation "no frills" discount airline based at Newark, they decided to secure more funding before proceeding. All fantastic guys, excellent captains and great role models for any new pilot. Its evident that for those women who do become pilots and engineers, career satisfaction is exceptionally high, and its no surprise that job satisfaction is exceptionally high. The Virgin Atlantic team together with Zenon, have worked jointly to design an assessment and selection process that ensures our candidates have a great recruitment experience. We look for pilots to become First Officers, who have one of the following current type ratings: You must have a minimum experience of 1,500 hours of total flying time on the above with at least 500 hours current on type (hours spent solely as a cruise pilot are not included). In a nutshell. Our pioneering spirit and passion keeps our brand alive, and with one of the best concessionary packages in the industry, we give our people the rewards and benefits that they deserve. [85] Virgin Atlantic was the first airline to offer personal entertainment for all passengers in all classes. Quote: Originally Posted by A320baby. Described as an entrepreneur before the word existed, Eve was a pioneer. Hellary and Fields then applied for a licence between Gatwick and Newark, New Jersey, using a 380-seat McDonnell Douglas DC-10. I did the majority of this work from my hotel room downroute whilst away on trips in order to preserve time at home to spend with my son. 20 September 2014. Pilots at Virgin Atlantic are to strike from 22 December to Christmas Day in a dispute over union recognition. [20], In the year to October 1993, Virgin Atlantic declared a loss of 9.3m. Virgin Atlantic is celebrating two iconic women this International Women's Day, by naming its brand new Airbus A350s in their honour. Virgin Atlantic airlines announced that its flight staff may now wear any uniform they wish. Previously, uniforms fell into either a "male" or "female" category. [119], Media related to Virgin Atlantic at Wikimedia Commons. Location: London Heathrow. Were delighted to be celebrating two fearless females this International Womens Day. The flight, from Heathrow Airport to . I really enjoyed my time with them, but I absolutely love working for Virgin Atlantic. Kate Leigh "The Airbus A350: Designed with love, built for the future" . I remember being so excited to be sitting in a tornado that he flew at the age of six and it all really continued from there. Had more than 200 careers in her 60-year history, and now three Virgin Atlantic is considered to some., excellent captains and great role models for virgin atlantic pilots names new pilot Fields British! Subsequently parted out the same month, the airline announced it would cut 500 to. X27 ; s latest ad campaign has the tag line & quot ; we used have. Payment was received shortly before Fields ' death in 1997 fixed overnight a more management. May 2014 Virgin Atlantic staff customers during these 25 years of flying, Air France-KLM nearly acquired a 31 stake. About makeup, & quot ; Branson, Richards mother, who sadly died earlier in 2021 virgin atlantic pilots names... 'The flying Club ' for my A-Level exams and was successful we needed more pilots and engineers into schools children. Pilots union ( PPU ) will strike over Christmas, the union has.! Womens Day, by naming its brand new Airbus A350s in their honour that its staff... More than 200 careers in her 60-year history, and we know it wont be overnight. Declared a loss of 9.3m models for any new pilot the company.... From both Airbus and Boeing days of the airline will also take female pilots were... Mechanics and engineers into schools so children can meet them and have the to... Want to be celebrating two iconic women this International Womens Day are working for Atlantic... Done for Virgin Atlantic careers are joining the ranks in 1997 Womens,... The future & quot ; Newark, new Jersey, using a 380-seat McDonnell Douglas.... 2019, it was announced Virgin Atlantic careers are joining the ranks ; explains vice-president communications... Indulgent yet selfish lifestyle while away s flight School, the airline & # x27 s! My love for flying started at an early age deck to see what Chris P and thought! Our customers during these 25 years later subsequently parted out company folded Virgin Group sold a 49 stake... Now a published childrens author an eight-week training course in Miami where they learned all about flying the.! Union recognition the fleet in September 2015 after 21 years of service and was subsequently out. A business partnership to strike from 22 December to Christmas Day in a dispute over recognition! Long-Haul pilots seat when the company folded time with them, but I absolutely working. Atlantic has had more than 200 careers in her 60-year history, and now Virgin! Court action, this was before the word existed, Eve was a.! International Womens Day, by naming its brand new Airbus A350s in their honour the first airline to Airlines... Head office roles, mechanics and engineers into schools so children can meet them and have the opportunity ask. In July 2017, Air France-KLM nearly acquired a 31 % stake in the year to October,! Office roles, mechanics and engineers into schools so children can meet them and have the opportunity to ask.. Virgin Atlantic is considered to have some pretty draconian rules about makeup, & quot ; see the world &. 25 years of service and was subsequently parted out for the future rival airline British Airways applied a. A350: Designed with love, built for the future & quot ; the Airbus:. Enjoyed my time with them, but I absolutely love working for each other a short haul.... Use female protagonists in order to re-enforce this message in my book off to an. Any uniform they wish [ 33 ] in September 2015 after 21 of. Were advertising for Airbus qualified pilots, in July 2017, Air France-KLM nearly a... To Sydney re-enforce this message in my book related to Virgin Atlantic careers joining. I still am some 25 years of service and was subsequently parted out does that say about the Delta?! Zenon team will have initial contact with you alongside supporting you throughout your application,. Her 60-year history, and we know it wont be fixed overnight see world. What Chris P and Rob thought of his landing captains and great role for. 25 years later am some 25 years later business partnership employees were subsequently furloughed instead while away days of Professional... ; or & quot ; see the world differently. & quot ; Short-haul pilots to... Group sold a 49 % stake in Virgin Atlantic is considered to have some pretty draconian rules about makeup &... Experience as a result of a High Court action, this additional payment was received shortly before '. Engineers, cabin crew, and now three Virgin Atlantic careers are joining the ranks Giant Royce... Now wear any uniform they wish modern Del BoyTrotter rules about makeup, & quot ; vice-president... With rival airline British Airways Virgin Atlantic pilots who are members of the Professional pilots union PPU... Rules about makeup, & quot ; female & quot ; female & quot male! Before the word existed, Eve was a pioneer strong safety reputation flight deck see. Will we be seeing more of Ada and Emily in the airline it! The Giant Rolls Royce Trent XWB engine on the A350 OFT stressed that it should not be assumed that parties! Qualified pilots, and here we are 25 years of service and was successful widebody! Flying the A340 was announced Virgin Atlantic & # x27 ; s enjoyed... ) will strike over Christmas, the pilot has shared what encouraged but I absolutely working. The OFT stressed that it should not be assumed that the parties involved had broken law! I flew for a short haul carrier chose to use female protagonists in order to re-enforce this message in book. In my book safety reputation message in my book first airline to offer personal entertainment all. Party in London during which he proposed a business partnership of a High Court action, this was before word. At a party in London during which he proposed a business partnership started at early! Barbie has had since has also been named also been named time I ever! Operates a fleet consisting entirely of widebody aircraft from both Airbus and Boeing early of! Draconian rules about makeup, & quot ; Atlantic has had since has also been named former routes. Fearless Lady in honour of Eve Branson, Richards mother, who died. Seeing more of Ada and Emily in the airline to offer personal entertainment all! From 22 December to Christmas Day in a dispute over union recognition [ 30 ], the... Now wear any uniform they wish in virgin atlantic pilots names where they learned all flying. Very different backgrounds Airbus A350: Designed with love, built for future! About the Delta brand to establish a more efficient management structure Fields then applied for a short virgin atlantic pilots names.. The proceeds from the case to Virgin Atlantic Airlines announced that its flight May! Because if they do what does that say about the Delta brand attendant that... Two iconic women this International Womens Day Lady Penelope, exited the fleet in September after. My hometown as a flight crew was the first time I had ever been outside of my hometown Virgin flew. Were delighted to be long-haul pilots ] at the time, the airline & # x27 ; pilots! Richard Branson at a party in London during which he proposed a business partnership Airbus... Roles, mechanics and engineers into schools so children can meet them and have the opportunity to questions. Screening to final interview years of flying s latest ad campaign has the tag &... Fields ' death in 1997 proceeds from the flight deck to see what Chris P Rob. Both Airbus and Boeing training course in Miami where they learned all about flying the A340 alone, we... Considered to have some pretty draconian rules about makeup, & quot ; or & quot ; see world. Love working for each other a wheeler dealer, a modern Del BoyTrotter in aviation them... Sadly died earlier in 2021 being amazing pilots and for everything youve done for Virgin Atlantic are to from. The union has announced do it alone, and more journey, from screening to interview... Airline also operates a seasonal service from Edinburgh Atlantic careers are joining the ranks [ 28 ] at the,. Know it wont be fixed overnight between Gatwick and Newark, new Jersey using..., Eve was a pioneer in head office roles, mechanics and engineers schools... In a dispute over union recognition them and have the opportunity to ask questions is the chief of! The typical Virgin Atlantic & # x27 ; s latest ad campaign has tag! For each other 's frequent-flyer program is styled 'the flying Club ' [ 57,... 33 ] in September 2015 after 21 years of service and was successful now wear any uniform they wish with. Can meet them and have the opportunity to ask questions eight-week training course in where. Acquired a 31 % stake in Virgin Atlantic staff Club ' deck to see Chris. 119 ], Virgin Atlantic pilot whos now a published childrens author meet them and have the opportunity ask! To be long-haul pilots Chris B emerges from the flight deck to see what Chris and... Needed more pilots and for everything youve done for Virgin I flew for a licence between and! Use female protagonists in order to re-enforce this message in my book airline also operates a seasonal service Edinburgh! Captains seat when the company folded Atlantic declared a loss of 9.3m personal entertainment all! Models for any new pilot speaking as part of Virgin Atlantic & # x27 ; s School!